Is this fixable

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Pa hunter, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Pa hunter

Pa hunter New Member

3A35E32A-38CA-4E8E-8508-033AAD33EA07.jpeg

Somehow while hunting today I bent the rib on my sbe 2

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Sure, but I wouldn't do it myself (if you want it 100% right)

https://ninjacowfarm.com/repairing-bent-shotgun-ribs/

Over the years I have seen numerous attempts by gun owners to repair dented ribs. Seldom were they successful. Typically, the gun owner uses a tapered blade screwdriver to try to pry up the depressed section of the rib. This causes a number of problems. Because the screwdriver blade is tapered or wedge-shaped, the gun owner often inadvertently scars the barrel or the sides of the opening of the vent in the rib below the dent. In addition, the top of the rib may be twisted as it is pried up. This is due to uneven pressure being applied to the underside of the dented rib.
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_0306/100369

But, if you want to try, get one of these...
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ners-dent-raisers/vent-rib-tool-prod8754.aspx

3. Pa hunter

Pa hunter New Member

Thanks for the help. I never knew a tool like that was made. I’ll make a few calls about getting it fixed but if it’s expensive I’ll just get the tool and try it myself

4. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

The first time I bent a rib on my gun I was cautious and took great care to try to straighten it properly. Since then I just straighten it out with a screwdriver wrapped with electrical tape. Shouldered the sight plane is fine. If you sight down the barrel it has some character.

5. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

Have an a5 that's 2 years old every rib bent on it no idea how but I had it sent back to browning they fixed it. I will not get into the rest of the problems with the gun.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Are you worried about appearance or function?

It looks like crap, but will not affect the function of where the gun shoots at all... My two favorite guns have dings in the ribs, and the first time it happened it concerned me... Until I realize it does not affect anything except how the gun looks.

Look down that rib as you should the gun, and unless you are seeing too much rib, I'd bet you cannot even see that "dip."

ronaldo and Billy Bob like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Had that on a few of my guns and just fixed’em myself. You ought to have a gunsmith fix it, cause on a Benelli, it’s prolly there to support the structural integrity of the gun. A “gusset” if you will, for the spaghetti gun.

9. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

:l:l:l :tu

P

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

ronaldo likes this.