ISO 410 O/U

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by zeus, Mar 8, 2021.

1. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

If anyone has any leads on a 410 O/U please let me know. My future DIL is looking for one as a wedding gift to my son.

2. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Price range ? Barrel length ? Intended end use ? New or used ?

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

4. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Would like to stay around $500. Will consider used as long as it's not abused. Not sure what the intended use is although I am sure there is a good possibility it would be taken on certain flooded timber hunts

5. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

I do not mean to sound like a gun "snob" but you may want to increase your budget a little . In the world of O/U shotguns $500 will not get you much .
    If you shop around good used Browning or Beretta O/U's can sometimes be found in the $1000 range . And down the road if something breaks on one of those it can be repaired .

6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

7. ixkaped2

ixkaped2 Senior Refuge Member

20 gauge, but I like the way she is thinking

8. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Not wanting or needing anything fancy! The son shot a friend's Stoeger at trap and fell in love with it thus the future DIL is wanting to buy him one as a gift before their wedding in July. If money wasn't tight then there wouldn't be an issue but she is not only planning a wedding she also is going to school for her masters in special education.

9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Zeus's, It is not an issue of fancy. It is an issue of function. You cant buy a quality o/u that will function long term for $500 unless you luck into a really good deal on a quality used o/u. The cheap foreign made o/u's are not quality built guns. The Brazilian made Stoegers are not quality shotguns. That is why I mentioned the Mossberg 500 or a Remington. Much more functional guns that can last a lifetime.

I am only saying this because I have shot with a few guys who have them, but Tristar makes a semiautomatic. 410. The wood blued gun can be bought for less than $700 last I knew. They seem to function well. They dont look bad. However it costs about double to shoot .410 than to shoot 20 ga or 12 ga unless you reload. 28 ga is great fun also but very expensive for shells like the .410.

I have 2 friends that are gunsmiths and I hear all kinds of stories about inexpensive over unders including those made or marketed by Stoeger, Tristar, Steven's, and Mossberg.

zeus likes this.
  10. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Noweil I appreciate the input and will pass it along to the DIL. I may do a little window shopping this weekend just to see what is available at the locally owned stores