ISO Place to hunt hogs

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by ByroB, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ByroB

ByroB Refuge Member

My son turns 21 this March and has been itching his entire life to shoot a hog. So, I am wanting to get him on a hunt as a birthday present. Looking for some help on places to go. We will be driving so would really rather not go to Texas. I am fine with AR, OK or TN. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not looking for any particular kind of hog although a chance at some big ones would be nice, just someplace we can go, harvest several and have a good time doing it.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

It'd help if we knew what state you live in. GA is covered in hogs, but no idea if that's closer than "going to Texas" for you, or not.

3. ByroB

ByroB Refuge Member

I’m in Iowa

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

First figure out how you want to hunt. The choices are stand hunting like deer, dog hunting, or night hunting with night vision. You can also spot and stalk or drive them.

Ga is covered up with hogs. But they're not as easy as they used to be. Where I hunt they're like a different breed compared to ten years ago. We have traps we bait up but we rarely catch any. Night hunting is the best bet for gwgetti a hog but my least favorite. Basically you ride around and try to catch some out in a field and try to shoot before they notice you. Fun for about ten seconds. Plus most won't come out til after midnight.

Slipping through thick cover is fun, but I can't do it anymore with my bad knees. If you're quiet you can walk right up on them and get some shots.

5. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I have success in January doing the spot and stalk, they tend to be hammering walnuts and can easily be slipped up on if you get the wind right. I had to buy a BoarBuster trap to try to work on my problems, and have done pretty well with it.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been wanting to do this to. There is a fenced operation in the UP of Michigan that has good looking old world boars. Also a place in Missouri. Free range I think Oklahoma or Texas would be a good bet.

For me I would love to watch some good catch dogs in action. Pig sticking is a bucket item for me.

Good luck on your search.

7. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Lots of guys around here in Ok. running hogs with dogs. A couple of my buddy's are killing multiple pigs every trip. These are free range hogs.