ISO Trainer

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by zeus, Apr 15, 2021.

1. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Highly considering sending the pup, 11.5 months old, off to a reputable trainer before I screw him up.
    Would prefer to stay within a 3 - 4hr drive of Peoria and around $500 - 600 a month for 3 - 4 months. Pup is good with basic obedience (sit, stay, heel) but will need force fetch and prefer multiple marks and hand signals.
    Give me some suggestions as I would like to get him sent around May 1st

2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

Contact Andy at Blackfeet Retrievers in Morris, IL. If he can’t, he’ll put you in touch with some.

zeus and goosehunter64 like this.
  3. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

I second this

4. Ilwaterfowler

Ilwaterfowler New Member

I had been considering gun dog success in Roberts through a friends recommendation. Has anyone had any experience with them?

5. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

I'm in same boat with my pup. Having a hard time finding time to train him myself

6. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

We called Andy last night and he is booked for the summer and has a few openings for 2 month training (Sept - Oct). May need to just go back to the drawing board, build confidence within myself and pray I don't screw it up. If I would only heed my own advice that it's a marathon not a sprint the dog will be phenomenal

7. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Oh and we did find a trainer in Southern Illinois that has openings BUT a major draw back is dogs are kept in crate as there are no dog runs. Yeah I don't want my dog in a crate 20 - 22hrs a day

8. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

I’ve hunted with him, if he has some spots in Late Summer/Early Fall, work with your dog now and get him tuned up then.

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Actually thats not bad.
    It makes the pup hungry for training time and then training is the highlight of their dog day.
    Letting them run and play sort of robs the trainer of that control. Your choice.

10. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Thanks to all that sent info. We found a trainer that focuses on 4 dogs at a time and is within an hours drive. Its going to be rough without him here and not seeing him for a month but the end result will be rewarding. Here is to the next week being a long one as we drop the pup off May 1st.

goosehunter64 likes this.