it’s not about weather. It’s private & public duck hotels up north

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Nov 9, 2019.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

???

2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

you could get one million monkeys pounding on keyboards at the same time and eventually they would produce a copy of War and Peace faster than the team of experts could examine all the river data for every river mile on the various drainages and produce workable legislation like you stated.

if you have more time........let Congress do it :l

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Dec 2015 to Feb 2020 have had the least amount of snow since records started being kept up in these parts.
    FB_IMG_1583114496685.jpg

4. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

So you admit this would effect farming and hunting in every river bottom from Canada to the gulf? Since it's no different here than there? No one duck hunts high ground, common man or rich man. What's interesting is that in one sentence the big gripe is private holdings hoarding birds... yet these proposals will leave more un-hunted, un-harvested land than you ever had before. There's a reason that baiting laws are basic and clear, and it's not because of some Duck Hunting Illuminati. It's because that's the only way things can be possibly enforced and not result in endless ambiguity over the entire country.

Comman man leases field in July. Sep-Oct is too wet and the beans stay. What happens? Hint: you want that field hunted, not left alone.

5. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

I would at least like to see the dilemma studied across the board to see if a common sense approach can be reached for both intentionally and unintentionally unharvested crops. I don't think the unintentionally harvested issue is as large or widespread as some would make it out to be but there is no way or knowing for sure without research. I do agree that the river systems appear to be more unmanageable especially in the last decade. I don't fear the outcome at least at first glance as it appears some folks do.

And for the record I leased an unharvested bean field that flooded in September. Rotten beans don't attract ducks. The harvested rice was much more well received.

6. LADucks

1. I'm not against doing some studying. Get some acreage totals. Duck use data. See exactly what effects we think they have. Etc.

2. I'd say in La at least they're rarely actually flooded in Sept. Most of the time it's just too wet to harvest and they flood later. Regardless, it shouldn't matter what crop or plant it is. It also shouldn't matter that one field was caused by mother nature and another field by man if both have the same outcome. That's where the impossibility of differentiating the two comes in. That's why we don't differentiate at all. FF's proposal included government inspectors to "certify fields" lol. I know that's nothing you said, but the logistics involved to differentiate the two and allow some places but not others just won't work. That's not something I'm willing to put in a bureaucracy's hands. Look what they did to portable gas tanks...

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. CUPTDUCK

CUPTDUCK Senior Refuge Member

I would guess the number of crops that can’t be harvested due to flooding and weather would dwarf the number of acres intentionally left unharvested. I have seen thousands of acres on one farm left due to weather / flooding.

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I recall the Delta debacle a few years back.

I also think planting crops in June is asking for trouble.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. LADucks

Delta was in same debacle in 2018, except there was no manipulation (back then the farmers tilled it under per instruction for aflatoxin) so they hunted. Hundreds and hundreds of acres of soybeans. LA didn’t have squat all year so it didn’t mean much in the grand scheme. They sure stacked in there in January though, but most pits were flooded over by then. Tough hunting from there on.

10. LADucks

It's certainly a gamble. Farmer is constantly crunching numbers to determine if the risk is worth the possible reward. Collect minimal insurance due to passing plant date, or go through expenditures of planting with risk of having to insure later anyway due to not getting it out? It's a heck of an equation... and it's one duck hunting holds zero weight on.

riverrat47 likes this.