It’s over. Ducks, 2018 central / pacific flyway MT

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Swuebber, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

I have a new pup that will be 1 year old in Feb. I carefully selected the breeder to get a smaller dog, hopefully 55 - 60 pounds full grown. Due to her size, ducks were more her size then geese. So this season I focused on ducks. It’s been a warm dry winter and in the 30 years I’ve lived in MT. I’ve never had such a difficult time finding birds. I’ve gotten similar reports from friends.
    Thank goodness the season is over, now I can get back to work. I’ll be buying some pen raised birds to plant for this young retriever. Does anyone know of anyone with birds to sell, chukar, pheasants, pigeons.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Don't feel bad about hard to find birds. It's been the same over here in the Idaho Panhandle this year.

I have a 6 month old pup. If I hear of any birds for sale in the Panhandle or western MT I will post up. Where are you specifically?

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Either of you could share your breeder? I am going to need a pup this spring. Looking for something specific... Yellow female, with a darker color, like a fox red. My current one is a light fox red, and she flat disappears in the grass. I like that.

4. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

5. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

Near Bozeman

6. Native NV Ducker

Yea, that's a drive, but worth it for a good dog. Probably be my last.

I am not a color snob. I have had em all, and all colors have been great. I just hunt 90% grass, and my Tarna was never kennel trained, so she just lays (sits) behind me, and only her head moves. Couple of sage bushes, and we are golden! I don't notice her color anymore, but people comment all the time about it.

So, when I say yellow, I just want to avoid those VERY light, almost white, ones.

7. Native NV Ducker

Oh, and Thank You. I have actually looked at their site in the last couple of days, and have it saved.

8. Native NV Ducker

Her pic didn't show. Trying again....
    20181109_093911.jpg

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I got my pup from Lee Salmon at Wind River Labs in Onalaska, WA. My Daisy is chocolate. Lee has a couple of upcoming black and yellow litters. Lee believes in good bloodlines and in full health certifications...in other words, a very responsible breeder. She is known in the dog training community as well, including some of the trainers up in the Flathead. She brought my pup to me after a visit to Ronan. Here is the upcoming litters page from her website:

https://windriverlabs.com/litters/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

Off topic,
    I’ve always had black labs but often wondered if a black dog that’s steady VS a yellow that’s steady would be better in stubble or grass. Had someone once tell me that the birds get eaten by foxes not cows, his rationale to have black labs. Who knows?
    I had pick of the litter and chose black over the yellow, wife told me yellow lab shed hair will show on everything, also considered how the black absorbs the suns warmth on those cold winter days.