Ithaca RoadBlocker 10 Ga

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by bullpinnie, Feb 10, 2021.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing Forum|Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

@Aunt Betty not the same guy . Not even close .

The 10GaugeNut (Joe) from here had a heart of gold and was a great dude that helped everyone and all . God bless his soul I hope he’s in a better place . I took a few of his 10 gauge reloads hunting with me the final day of the season this year . just me and joe . Miss him .

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Good. Pool guy was not.
    That particular Joe was from Alabama. Brought a group of his employees and played boss the entire time. Probably payed for their hunts it showed.
    Very strange to be there in that for that 5 days.
    Weekend regulars show up Friday night yeehaw.
    New group next week. Forget all their names but two standouts in the pay hunter group. A youth hunter and Joe.

3. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

10guagenut was a virtual friend. He and I talked and exchanged reload data for years. I met him on duck hunting chat where he went by BT Justice. Joe spent thousands of dollars testing reloads and gave away data and knowledge for free just for the asking. Although I never met him when I learned he died I had real grief. He was so humble he never mentioned he was sick. I think last time I spoke to him was literally just days before he passed. That’s who THIS Joe was. They don’t make them like him anymore. I have his manual of course. Even if you don’t load for the 10 you should get it. It has so much useful info on the PROCESS of reloading that to me is the key to loading high performing, within spec loads. Best $20 you’ll spend wrt reloading. Miss you Joe.

4. WindRoper

WindRoper New Member

Joe’s the reason I created an account here. So I could reach out for a manual (from the Mrs). His advice in the forums is pure gold.

Trevi, bullpinnie, jzee and 1 other person like this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Briley.jpg

So I sent the gun to Briley. They cut the barrel off at around 23.75 inches, and replaced the bead for under $100. putting a thin wall choke, and getting a turkey choke and an extended waterfowl choke would have been $500. I am happy with it. It won't be killing any more turkeys, but I'll pattern it in a couple of weeks and see what kind of patter the new cylinder fixed choke throws....If nothing else, I may just use it for teal hunting, and home defense.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  6. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

Use the Federal with the flight control wad and you might be surprised what that throws for turkey. I have seen little difference WRT choke with that shell; but no matter what, the Longbeard #5s from a .655 in the 1187 are better..... I wish they made a 10 gauge Longbeard, I'd carry the 10 again for turkey.

THEIRCOMMITED10 and bullpinnie like this.
  7. fred hill

fred hill New Member

I have have fitted two different SP-10 barrels to Ithaca Mag-10's. The bolt lock up cut out on the SP-10 barrel has to be relieved to the rear (it is cut farther forward on the SP-10) until the the Ithaca bolt catch locks in the notch. It is a file to fit, trial and test type of modification. Laying both barrels side by side will give you an idea of how much metal has to be removed from the SP-10 notch to match the Mag-10. To set headspace I use an empty 10ga. hull with a live primer. Go slow (a few light strokes of the file) when you get the notch close and put the barrel on. When the bolt closes on the dummy round it's time for a live fire function test. Joe 10ga. nut is the only reason I joined this forum as I'm not a waterfowler. He used to drop by my work in St. Louis to shoot the breeze because we both loved the 10 & 16ga.

8. sta-dby

sta-dby New Member

I've shot my sp10 with the federal #7 hw for years with the kicks .690 and shot about 220 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards ...note.....not 30 inch circle ...10 Inch circle these pellets hit like a frieght train and are %50 dencer than lead and are going 1300 fps

I just recently last year had William of sumtoy make a .685 it shot a astounding 244 in a 10

My ithaca mag 10 barrel that is threaded for briley d16b thinwal chokes is on its way to sumtoy , he is going to see what chokes he can make... I am most interested in .685 turkeys , and .720 and 750 for waterfowl

I will let you guys know how it goes as many of you have cut down mag10's with briley chokes

Shannon

fred hill likes this.
  9. fred hill

fred hill New Member

Looking forward to the results. Anything Ithaca Mag-10 related and 10ga. in general is of interest to me.