California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Its happened a few times...always special

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by yellowlabhunter, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:35 PM.

1. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

Balance of the State opens on my birthday again. Bitter-sweet I will be 53! I used to relish the opener on my birthday....when I was younger, teenager, college days...but I'd either be recovering from a victory on Friday nights, then getting after it on Saturday opener. Then off to college, couldn't hunt opener on birthday due to a game on Saturday's, but thought of my brother or father....those who would be enjoying the local shoot.

It's funny how we look forward to such days...hell, now I need them to slow down!

Still a great ***** day!

Mort, Sweatliner, DuckFan and 6 others like this.
  2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Happy Birthday opener! Mine at times falls on the last, or near the last day of the season. Always fun to have a B-day duck shoot.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  3. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

Mine usually spent late season NE late goose opener , good time , good eats , lots cheers , even more b's thrown around , birds that weekend are a bonus , only see the crew usually that weekend . So we catch up enjoy !

Nvhunter and yellowlabhunter like this.
  4. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

That’s the beauty of birthdays that occur during hunting season. They definitely help one keep track of their age. Spending time in the field is all the birthday gift any hunter would ever desire. I hope your 53rd has you sitting in a nice marsh this year. I’m just a few weeks behind you.

I think it’s apparent what milestone I achieved on this day.

Attached Files:

5. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Back in the late 80’s when we had short seasons I had the closer happen on my birthday. At the time it sucked to hunt the morning of the last day and then have to pull decoys in the cold and rain in a scotch-guarded army jacket, jeans, and rain boots on your birthday. Looking back on it I relish the time spent with my dad and all of the other guys in the club. We lost one of the founding members of that club this week. He had co-founded the club in 1950 and was one of the nicest gentlemen I’ve met. RIP Dr. Robinson.

6. yellowlabhunter

Great 50!

7. yellowlabhunter

Too many memories and old members. All the ones who were in their late 50's or early to mid 60's (when I was barely 30) are gone or leaving. Watching them play poker, playing pool.

I'd hear their stories of Vallejo and Hwy 37 hunting Cans when they were kids. The marsh when before my father went off to fight the Japs in WW2, the ducks, the men, the legends, the shotguns.

We all get to that age....I remember like yesterday running down cripples in waste deep marsh ponds...and finding that "hole".

But the stories....from Birds Landing, to Grizzly Island, to rice country....I've hunted, drank and eaten with some great men! All because of duck hunting.

What a wonderful life.

Sweatliner and letmwurk like this.
  8. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Yes, it is a wonderful life. Looking forward to making memories this year. Lots of guys I want to hunt with. I over heard an old-timer on Saturday telling stories about hunting the Bay near the shoreline of the Berkeley Marina. It was great to just listen to him talk about what it was like back in the 50’s. I hope I see him again. I’m kicking myself for not getting his phone number. That’s a guy I could just sit back and listen to all morning in a duck blind telling stories.

Sweatliner and Brottboss like this.
  9. yellowlabhunter

Absolutely! They are leaving us...my dad in '33 on Grizzly Island (where his ranch was) would take out his 2 uncles. They'd be drinking and half-in-the can to hunt (or shoot accurately) and he'd kill their limits and his of Mallards. Back when you'd see old black and whites of barn doors covered with birds.

Good stories .

CalBaer likes this.
  10. Mallardchasin'fool

Mallardchasin'fool Elite Refuge Member

My Dad and I share a birthday during duck season. We were born on the same day just a few years apart though. We used to always try and get together and have a birthday duck hunt someplace for a lot of years. Some years it was a day before or after but always right around our birthday. Then one year when I invited him to go on our birthday duck hunt he told me he had made plans to go to the coast with his wife for his birthday. Sadly we have not had a birthday duck hunt since.

We have had some great hunts together on our birthday hunts in the past and even a little birthday band action one year. Some awesome memories just taking a look back at these pictures from our birthday hunts in the past.
    29nov08 cropped.JPG

Birthday shoot with Dad.JPG

27nov2010 Dad.JPG

30nov2011 dad and ducks.JPG 30nov2011 dad and specks.JPG

IV Hunt, Out of focus, Mort and 8 others like this.