it's not duck hunting...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Jul 16, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

It's not duck hunting, but it looks like a lot of fun! Pigeons decoy well and provide a lot of entertainment in the off season. Might have a new spot to shoot this year.

Duck_Hunter_TX and callinfowl like this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Holy moly! What fun! I've seen teal do that. Hit them and they come back a few minutes later. Pigeon spinners seem to suck them in pretty well.

3. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Yes it is best day we had 3 guys and we got 750.great practice for season.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

I've been on a few awesome skyrat shoots, they are as fun as you can get.
    I wish I had a place close to home to shoot them, I'd have to buy a few more cases of steel 6's though. Sucks balls that you can't shoot cheap trap loads at them legally out here anymore.
    This state is a freak'in joke X1000!!!

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Attached Files:

marshmob likes this.
  6. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Woah. I assume you just dig a hole and dump all the birds?

Doc E likes this.
  7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Great fun. We have NO way the number of birds as that there, but we have a few barns where they like to roost and the farmer says " Kill Em ALL!" No burying our farm pigeons. Breast them out like Doveums. Good times, and a reason to get together during the off season and when the boat is layed up off the Bay, or the fishing action has a gap. Also, like stated above, great practice before Dove, Teal, then early duck and goosseage seasons. No range fees, no ego schmitt of a trap or skeet range, good cheer and even some beer among friends. Bring you besets shotguns or bring um all. " Hey can I try that?".... Old SxS's that usually don't get much attention during the season, need some flexing of their old muscles, don'y ya know. . Looking to make or buy a whirlie gig this year. Oh boy.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

Yes, just like geese.

JRS likes this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a fair number of pigeons... They are quite popular to eat in some cultures, and I find people that want them, ask how many they will take, and that is how many we will shoot... Sometimes the answer is 30 or so, sometimes the answer is "as many as you can shoot."

It just got a lot more expensive now that we have to shoot steel shot at them. And for everybody that will tell me steel shot shoots just fine, it is miserable to shoot at pigeons; target load #6's (lead) were a great choice on pigeons, and light-recoiling steel preforms horribly. Shooting high volumes of high-recoiling and more expensive loads takes some of the enthusiasm out.

10. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I did a pigeon shoot last year with low brass #8’s. 12 gauge.
    That even took the enthusiasm out of it. After the first case of shells, the second case was miserable. Kinda. I struggled through. Haha
    Me and a buddy shot around 650 that day and another 100 Eurasians.
    Buddy shoots a 28ga he reloads. He also kills around 10,000 a year and buys shot by the ton.

Squaller and dog duck gun like this.