Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Jacket recommendations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by swoop, Aug 17, 2020.

1. swoop

swoop New Member

Hey all, ive been on here for a while, and have learned a ton but have not seen a recent thread that applies to waterproof shells. I am looking to upgrade my basic camo coat used for deer hunting, and get one that is waterproof, and intended for waterfowling. From what I have seen, a quality waterproof shell is superior to a 3 in 1 system for versatility with layers and typically less bulky. I hunt temps from teens to 50's, with a majority of my hunts falling late season in 20-40 degree days with wind.

That said I am looking at the following shells right now and would appreciate any feedback/other recommendations: Rivers West Eider, Natural Gear Cut Down Waterfowl Jacket, and the Columbia Widgeon. These are in the order I am interested in, and would appreciate any others that come to mind. I am looking for a waterproof and windproof jacket, that I can layer under, and want to eliminate as much bulk as possible. I really like the look of the rivers west jacket, with the neoprene waterproof cuffs and well designed pockets. Can anybody comment on how the Columbia omniheat system works in cold weather vs say the fleece lined approach on the other two jackets? Has Drake improved their waterproofing in recent years?

Also, for a layering piece, I use a puffy vest in the deer stand. How does a puffy vs a high pile fleece(have a drake windproof mst thats incredibly warm), vs a wool sweater compare under a waterproof shell? I would believe the puffy, and windproof fleeces wouldnt allow for any breathability especially when combined with a shell. Which layering style do you recommend for differing conditions? Is a wool sweater the most flexible when it comes to layering?

thanks in advance

2. speckinator

speckinator Senior Refuge Member

Well..... my dad bout me a Columbia widgeon wader coat when I was 17 years old. And honestly it was all I wore until two years ago. I’m now 47. Yes it leaks after all these years. Yes a button pulled out of the hood. But that damn thing has never had any aftermarket treatment and has been thru hell on earth. I’ve gotten too damn fat for it in the midsection otherwise I would be still be wearing it. Liner is still in perfect shape. I’d imagine a wash with some tech wash and a good spray with some atsko would bring it back to better than new.

salthunter, ARHHH4 and swoop like this.
  3. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

4. Duck Seeker

Duck Seeker Senior Refuge Member

I like my Kuiu Yukon in Verde I’ve had it for a few years, and think I’d prefer the Valo cameo they just introduced. Since you mentioned you wanted a good shell, I know folks who use the Sitka Delta And love them.

salthunter likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Barbour

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Base layer.
    Sitka Duck Oven Jacket for mid-layer
    Sitka Delta Wading Jacket for the warmer days or...
    Sitka Hudson Jacket for those 20-40 degree days with wind

Aliv9 and swoop like this.
  7. swoop

swoop New Member

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Can anyone comment on specifically the Rivers west jacket and the Natural Gear jacket?

8. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

The wind proof, water proof fabrics are the biggest marketing fraud I've seen in my lifetime. I got sucked into buying three different brand jackets of the so called miracle fabric and none of these preformed as advertised, even after trying the "washes", after 2-3 months. Buy a wax cotton Filson or Barbour and use polyester (Polartec) insulator layers.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I have a ten or so year old version of what is or was Rivers West's very basic Back Country jacket that is the closest of the several brands of so-said "breathable and waterproof" garments I've tried to actually being waterproof. May well be made with Visqueen. But it dang sure ain't breathable, even with the underarm vents unzipped. Fine for sitting still, but has to come off for walking in or even setting a mess of decoys without sweating. That, and its fleece-like material is heavier and holds more water than I like in a "shell". Have it in my head, though, that they may have gone to a much finer napped fleece since then, and know their dog vests are much thinner.

10. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I think people overcomplicate jackets - either expecting waaaay too much from a single coat, or buying multiple jackets for every possible condition. Both options result in wasted $$$.

Get a thin outer shell and just layer underneath based on weather and activity level. No one needs a "system" or specific line of clothing - that's all just marketing, and color of layers doesn't really matter because its under your shell (except for neck line, but assuming most here don't wear neon or pastels).

Synthetic base layer for mild temps and merino wool for cooler. Wool sweater over top if colder. Fleece over that if colder still, or a down jacket if bitter cold. The shell is wearable in all scenarios, and my layers are all wearable in "normal" life.

Winter sports are my thing, and I ski and hike mountains in 40 below conditions wearing the same paper thin, $150 raincoat I wear to get groceries or walk the dog in rainy mild weather. When duck hunting i swap out that raincoat for my widgeon parka shell, but am always annoyed at it's bulk and weight.

Ruination, Whistle and swoop like this.