Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Jerk String Hack Idea

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by mudder, Oct 6, 2020.

1. mudder

mudder Senior Refuge Member

I am thinking of taking an old fishing reel, maybe just using the handle for an old rod for the reel, and some 50 pound test line for my jerk rig. Seems it would be so much easier than the flat paddle line holder that most jerk rigs come with.

Anyone ever try this? Seems like it should work pretty good. Or what do use for your jerk line?

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I use 1/2" rope for my boat setup and when I rig one at a permanent blind. Rope doesn't tangle, and it doesn't break. On the boat cord I use my boat anchor on the water end and have a dog bumper on the boat end. When I have to run the boat to pick up birds, I just toss the bumper out and pick it up on the way back.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I have. Much easier to work a rod handle and reel than a kite string type line holder while setting the line to and from the decoys. Also in the blind, pulling the line with that big handle is nice. We also use a small fishing pole with casting reels for setting dove decoys, by casting the decoy up and over a power line and then reeling back slowly to make the decoy hook the line and stand up. Then lead the pole into some grass and tie or stake it to keep the pressure constant to keep the decoy standing up. Easy and simple method for 3 or 4 decoy set with that many poles. Taking down is easy, give the decoy some slack and pull it up and over the line quick, reel it up and done. I use old or broken poles w/ reels i have over the years or $3 ones I see at Goodwill.

mudder likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I use trotline reels. Theyre at walmart by the lines in the fishing gear in the lure aisle.

stevena198301 and mudder like this.
  5. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

Interesting idea. As the worst caller in my group I am often stuck with the jerk string.
    I will check this out. Thanks

6. Pkraft

Pkraft Elite Refuge Member

Do the trotline reels lock?

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Another note about rope is dogs don't tend to tangle in it.

8. mudder

mudder Senior Refuge Member

Interesting idea on the dog bumper. I imagine so you can get the line away from the boat/motor when underway to pick birds up. I have a dog and may not need that, but when setting up from a boat where you cant wade, it would come in handy when parking the boat and letting line out from within the boat.

How in the heck do you hide a 1/2" rope from the birds?

9. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

50lb mono or spectra can cut into a dog pretty quickly too. I wouldn’t use anything lighter than paracord for a jerk rig if dogs are involved. Also, a strategically placed weight allows you to let the line sink out when the dog has to cross it rather than trying to raise it up over their heads.

Squaller and dog duck gun like this.
  10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I just put 20 yards of string on so if a bird tries landing on mojo it gets wasted. The jerk rig is attached to the bottom of the stake. That is a trotline reel.
    20201006_100911.jpg

THEIRCOMMITED10 and mudder like this.