JJ lares t-1 help

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I totally and respectfully disagree. Learning to cut and tune a call to you is much better than burning through calls that you don’t get along with. Everyone has different air presentation, diaphragm pressure, etc. The several jj lares calls I have, none have the stock reed in them.
My point is that the increments available are fine enough in terms of measurement that all bases are covered imo.
I’m not a guy coming here and worshipping a call maker or what have you.
I like lots of call makers.
I’ve done all manner of things to many calls. I have duck commander calls I like…XR2, Echo pure meat and Timber….Actually after a ton of time my Buck Gardner clear plastic Arkansas double reed will blow the doors off all my dr85…

What I find is all the calls are good.
I have a plastic primos “yo sistah” that runs great but for some reason I needed to trim custom the cork to get it how I liked.
I like a plastic Lohman I have just stock with a dagger cut reed.
I love my Echos and RNTs too.
I find most mass produced calls have workable designs that can sound good if the air is right.
But on Lares, when I spoke with Joe at the shop for me I realized he gives you the reed variety.
It’s so easy to change lengths at fine measurement increments in repeatable fashion. In fact it’s the strength of those calls.
Now certainly I’d never say anyones “wrong” to put a dagger reed in a t-1.
But at least on mine you are limiting its potential compared to the stock reeds.
Hey if that’s what you want ok, but imo there’s a lot there on that call besides just going dagger reed deep rattle and done.
Also I recognize the difference in air presentation required on Lares compared to certain others.
I kinda like how my RNT really let me “pop” the first part of the note.
I dunno I’m not an expert pro there’s many here far beyond me I just see it as if you can’t find one of the stock lengths you like then imo the call isn’t for you, if you want the full range. (For Lares calls)
Jmo
I just hold those calls in high respect after visiting the shop and seeing how advanced the man was in his tight tolerance manufacturing.
I guess that’s what I liked you could pick up any call the sound was the same.
Im not a fanboy though I’ll be starting out next season with an RNT Original front and center.
Good hunting!

Edit I just threw a 1.365 Lares dog ear reed into my t1 for a minute.
If you want deeper loud tone you use the A5.
The 1.365 gets weird transitions through the range imo and limits the call. Imo
The stock reed gives you more imo.

Last edited:

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I run a 1.370 in my T1 and it is a beast. The beauty of that call is that it will run anything from 1.320 to 1.380 to suit most any level of forward pressure/air presentation style. I believe there have been a few World Lives won with a T1 and a 1.365 reed (Brett). I know guys that run 1.380 reeds in a T1 and in the woods you would think they were cut Olts if you had not spent a lot of time around Olts, or knew it was a T1. I vastly prefer a long reed in a T1 to an A5, or the Hybrid. The T1 is just a great design, period. Then, they were also geniuses to "monetize" the extra-reed concept. :)

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I like my A5 at .370.
My T-1 I like .315.
The extra reed concept wasn’t a monetization imo.
Die cutting reeds like that is only one one aspect of just how much more advanced the technology is on a Lares call.
The spring design tone board design no water absorbing materials o ring spit channels in a unique tone board all come together to get very repeatable quality to leave it down to operator ability.
There’s no questioning is it you because with Lares it’s you lol.
Just for me in open marsh I like the ring on top of my t-1 much better on .315
It seems to cut the air better and gets the best response from birds here set that way. I guess maybe it’s less forgiving to run…
I ran a .335 in my A5 some and it gets the response also but to me the A5 likes that .365 .370 range a lot better.
That call can scream or whisper like the t-1 can.
To me the strength of the Lares designs overall is that you don’t need to fork around playing with corks and fiddling about with reeds you just run the call.
As long as you don’t spit a wad of grizzly into it it’ll run. Even if you do clog it with tobacco it’s simple to disassemble it clean it and right back up running.
That’s not always the case with lesser advanced more traditional calls.
That said, some cork calls have a little something special when everything’s just right-the right amount of moisture absorbed in the cork, just right reed, set in there just right etc.
My RNT Orihinals have a nice little sound to them.
As far as tuning stability and reliability goes though nothing touches the Lares, it’s far more advanced than others and that’s a fact you can take to the bank.
If you don’t like the sound though or the way they run it’s a non starter.
I dunno something about the acoustics of where I hunt on a t-1 the .315 is my sweet spot.
Great thing is let’s say I drop the reed and step on it or something-no problem I have an identical one right there in a little bag waiting in the wings.
I never have to worry about fiddling around custom tuning with scissors and corks, NEVER.
I like that.

nzduck

Reaction score
I run a 1.370 in my T1 and it is a beast. The beauty of that call is that it will run anything from 1.320 to 1.380 to suit most any level of forward pressure/air presentation style. I believe there have been a few World Lives won with a T1 and a 1.365 reed (Brett). I know guys that run 1.380 reeds in a T1 and in the woods you would think they were cut Olts if you had not spent a lot of time around Olts, or knew it was a T1. I vastly prefer a long reed in a T1 to an A5, or the Hybrid. The T1 is just a great design, period. Then, they were also geniuses to "monetize" the extra-reed concept. :)
Do you get any reed sticking at those longer lengths, and does the call maintain a good top end? Cheers

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Do you get any reed sticking at those longer lengths, and does the call maintain a good top end? Cheers
No, I don't get any sticking, but I have never gone longer than a 1.380. When I have my air built up, the call sounds awesome on the top end. I should practice more.

stumpjumper0531

Elite Refuge Member
Sponsor
Reaction score
I totally and respectfully disagree. Learning to cut and tune a call to you is much better than burning through calls that you don’t get along with. Everyone has different air presentation, diaphragm pressure, etc. The several jj lares calls I have, none have the stock reed in them.
AMEN

STUMP

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to not learn to cut your own reeds. A sheet on .010 Mylar is cheap.
In my opinion cutting reeds and changing corks is part of really "owning" a call.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to not learn to cut your own reeds. A sheet on .010 Mylar is cheap.
In my opinion cutting reeds and changing corks is part of really "owning" a call.

Kinda funny when someone speaks of tuning a call for best fit or even changing a cork as though it were difficult or drudge work - but you gotta hand it Lares for recognizing and catering to them. Sheer wizardry I tell you.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, Old Joe eliminated the cork variable making his calls the easiest in that way to play with reed tuning.
I think some folks run into problems cutting corks with different grades of cork, and assuming that all corks should be flush with end of insert (my 1998 RNT DC for instance is not flush as tuned by J.S.).
Having built fishing rods since 1983 I can tell you that the quality of most cork on the market is crap. I saved up high end wine corks which are super tight grain, firm, with no visible defects - true triple A grade, made my own jig with a single edge razor blade and sanded them to final thickness.

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Geez I’m gettin hit hard as if I’m saying don’t cut reeds.
My t-1 was made by Joe before the hybrid was ever released.
It likes the short square cut reed. On top it’s more piercing. The bottoms the same.
I’ve like any waterfowler cut many reeds used custom wedges bent and cut reeds from different materials on my Iversons
Sanded tone boards ruined calls changed everything.
I’m not saying that’s bad just that it’s not necessary on Lares A5 or T-1
Of course my A5 came before the t1 was released so these are older I guess. My t-1 was bought from on location before a hybrid was ever made.
The thing about Lares duck calls is the tone boards so good they can accept a lot, they are very forgiving.
It’s been so many years for me…I feel looking for that “magic cut” is not in the cards for me anymore but more so it’s not needed.
A tiny change in pitch by the .00000001 cut ain’t making real world difference, unless the tone board is poorly designed imo.
Been there done that.
For me anymore duck calling is a question of my skill lacking not call tuning.
Imo a good caller can call ducks on almost anything decent.
You know come to think of it I have a Delrin copy of my first RNT original I machined when I had access to a large at an old job.
I’ve yet to cut the tone board but both pieces are there in a toolbox I have in storage.
I think as a voice of reason this…
Don’t chase call tuning chase better operator skill.
Cadence and volume control and reading birds etc.
I’m not saying some calls aren’t better than others or what have you but, on a Lares you’re not going to uncover anything that’s not available from one of the die cut reeds available.
I dunno, I’m kinda ocd so for me there’s a point where you’ve cut enough reeds and corks.
The thing about Lares is as said before by the other fella one variable is eliminated and there’s options by .005” increments in dagger or square cut that will fit the t1.

For me the t-1 I have, an original t-1 out of the house there with the ss toolboxes optical comparator and machine tooling…
My t-1 loves 1.315.
I dunno if any changes were made over the years but mine screams.

Anyhow don’t hate guys. Don’t hate. I’m not saying for most calls I’m saying for that call tuning is unnecessary what with all the reeds available.

Now on an RNT or whatever yeah those are good but can be all over the place with the manu tolerances so they are all a little different. I like that too in a different way.
“Those calls are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get”

Far as my t-1 and all my favorite calls I represent the weakness not the call or tune. I think that if folks are honest that’s true of 99 percent of us.