Joseph Smith

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Aug 30, 2019.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

I am no sort of scholar on the subject, but yes, I have seen what has been put out there about it.

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

I’m curious how one man’s vision became scripture. Was it ever brought before an elder in a church?

3. sdkidaho

One mans vision didn’t become scripture.

And an elder of which church exactly? Can you tell me which one was correct at that time period?

4. Buffalo Howler

Exactly. Which one is correct is the same question the church has asked since the beginning. When the Holy Bible was canonized the council did not “decide” but agreed to what was already being accepted in the churches. By churches I am referring to born again Christians that have God in them. The Holy Spirit by which they live. He is the author of scripture. For example. Many were rejected because they gave false witness to the testimony of Jesus. The Gospel of Thomas for one was rejected. No single church or individual “approved” a writing. If someone has a vision today it should be received or rejected much the same way. Compared it with what the Apostles wrote. It still remains. Romans 16:17 Jude 1:3
    It would be similar to checking for counterfeit money. It is always compared to the original. So it is with Christians. Those that are born from the same father speak the same language and have the same heart and mind. They know they are susceptible to deceptive doctrines taught by demons. They are not afraid of loosing anything because they are already dead to the world. All they have is Christ in them and that’s everything they need.

For this reason I ask how Joseph Smith’s writing were accepted?

5. sdkidaho

Herein is your answer:

6. sdkidaho

Again, we use the Holy Bible. We have not replaced it with something else.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We’re good then since Christ directed the work that was done. You did agree after all that He was the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever, so I’m sure it isn’t a huge leap to agree that when the Lord commands something, you do it. To say that the Lord wouldn’t command an individual to do something would go against Him being eternal, would it not?

Whether or not you believe “He” did guide, direct and command an individual to restore His gospel in the latter days, due to man mingling his (mans) philosophies with scripture, is of course up to you. All of this information is contained in the reading I gave you.

So if a vision was received today, you’d want all of the Christian churches to have their leadership gather together and determine if the vision that was received was in fact true. Do I have that correct?

If I have that wrong, then who are the individuals who would be qualified for this task?

Then again I would say, we’re good. We believe, use and study the Holy Bible. As well, we have another testament of Jesus Christ called the Book Of Mormon which confirms the teachings found in the Holy Bible and tells us of Christ, His Atonement and resurrection and of His love for us and His desire for us to return and be with Him for eternity.

By the confirmation given by the Holy Spirit. When you read the Book Of Mormon and ask God to know for yourself if it is true, that’s how you’ll know.

7. Buffalo Howler

Do all the churches of today accept Joseph Smith’s visions and writing? If not why are they rejected? What Gospel is there to be restored? The Gospel is the same yesterday today and forever. Maybe the same concept could be applied to Mohammed’s visions? Are his visions accepted or rejected in the Mormon church?
    Jesus said you will know a tree by it’s fruit. In our conversation I have found that Joseph Smith was also a Free Mason correct? Does this group bear good or bad fruit?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  8. Buffalo Howler

One other question I have. Have the original Egyptian writings been preserved and has anyone else translated it to English?

9. sdkidaho

Do all the churches of today accept your version of belief? No, they do not. Why? Because "man" can't get along and agree, hence the reason for this discussion is my guess. So does everyone agree and believe what members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe? No, for the reason I just stated.

Do you believe that the priesthood was ever taken from the earth? If yes, then there is your answer. If no, then I don't know how I would answer that question for you.

Correct. So why would another testament of such be considered evil? Again, this is man putting limitations on the Lord where none should exist. If you do not believe that the Lord could or would ever speak to man again then I cannot explain this to you. If you believe He can and would, then the reading material I gave you, explains this quite well.

Rejected. Why? Well, from what I've seen their religion is a religion of war and hate, dominance and abuse - none of these things come from the Lord. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Anything I know about Joseph Smith and Free Mason's would be contained in the reading I gave you, more than that I could not say as it would only be a guess on my part.

Have they been preserved? Yes. They are sealed up unto the Lord. Has anyone else confirmed the writings and translated them to English? Yes, you can find the answer to that as well in the reading that I gave you.

Maybe I can bring this discussion to a close with a question:

What would be "the best" possible outcome of this conversation, in your mind? This discussion that you and I are having, if you could have your hearts desire for the outcome of our talk here, what would it be?

10. Buffalo Howler

That men may know the truth.