Joseph Smith

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Aug 30, 2019.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

Then we agree on something. That’s great.

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    I'll run with John to answer it for me, and most others. This is how I answer to the door knockers when they come. Ask if they'd like to participate in a study of the book of Revelations. Before you jump on the "read this thing on the our interpretation of the text", I read it as is. just my .02.
    “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” (Rev. 22:18–19.)

3. sdkidaho

I understand that, completely.

What of these:

Deuteronomy 4:2
    2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
    32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Proverbs 30:6
    6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Would they not nullify the entirety of the New Testament? It seems sometimes we pick and choose how to interpret, and or ignore what we may not agree with. I include myself in that "we".

I still submit that God is the same yesterday, today and forever. That He can and does still guide men upon the earth. He does not have limitations placed upon Him, but rather, men place limitations on what "they" think He can and will do.

Even if the passage in Revelation meant that no man could add to scripture; it does not forbid that God may, through a prophet, add to the Word of God. If this were not possible, then the Bible could never have come into existence.

It is argued that the book of Revelation was written prior to some of the other biblical books, and prior to the Bible being assembled into a collection of texts. Would that not mean that the verse you quote above can only apply to the Book of Revelation, and not the Bible as a whole? While the traditional date of the book of Revelation is A.D. 95 or 96 (primarily based on a statement by Irenaeus), many scholars now date it as early as A.D. 68 or 69. The Gospel of John is generally dated A.D. 95-100. That being the case... now what? Are we to believe that the verse you quote came last, and that it applies to the whole Bible, or that we as men, interpret what "we" feel, and thus put limits on what God can and will do?

4. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I attend this church each week. I can help answer any question(s) you may have. In regards to Joseph Smith, as a young man he simply was curious to know which church in his time was the true church. He found it interesting and confusing that so many churches on the earth taught contradicting doctrine. He visited several churches and read from the Bible trying to find which church is true. It was then that he read James 1:5. Joseph took this scripture to heart prayer to God to know an answer and received revelation that instructed him and prepared him to become a modern day prophet. Similar to the examples shared We believe in a Loving God, and in a Savior that has paid the price that we might have away to be forgiven of our mistakes while here upon the earth. We believe God is the same today, yesterday, and forever. With that being said, it makes sense that he would reveal revelations to the prophets we know in the Bible as well as to Chosen prophets here on the American Continents. The best example is as a parent we love our children equally and want to give them all the same opportunities to progress, why wouldn't a loving Heavenly Father want the same for all of us, no matter where we live or when we live upon the earth. The Book of Mormon is simply a record of the people hear in the Americas and their dealings with God. It by no means contradicts the Bible, rather it is Another Testament of our Savior Jesus Christ. Our Church is set up the same today as the church of old with a Prophet and twelve apostles who receive revelation as whole for the church and teach that we as individuals can also receive revelation for ourselves.

I refuse to bash scriptures or doctrine with anyone. Nor will I try to force my beliefs on anyone, but if you have genuine questions I am more than happy to share/discuss.

5. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Where did Joseph Smith get his authority?

6. sdkidaho

From Jesus Christ, who had Peter, James and John confer the Melchizedek Priesthood upon him.

7. Buffalo Howler

Where do you find that information?

8. sdkidaho

9. Buffalo Howler

So it was from the angel Moroni? It reads that there were men who confirmed but when did God give an angel authority to that? This still reminds me of this verse from the letter to those in Galatia.

Galatians 1:8
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Could you explain how Joseph Smith explained this verse to others?

10. sdkidaho

No. If you read that page you’ll see the answer.