Joseph Smith

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Aug 30, 2019.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

You’re assuming that what was taught was contrary to what is taught in the Bible. It’s not.

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Can you quote the verse from the suggested reading that says Jesus gave the priesthood to Joseph Smith? I can see where it is suggested that he spoke through an angel. Is it a self written exposition?
    Christians today are born again and the Holy Spirit that is promised to all believers will enlighten them into the things of God. Where does it say that an angel will show you the “correct” gospel?

Ephesians 1:17
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

1 John 2:27
    But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

John 15:26
    But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Do all Mormons have the same enlightened mind as Joseph Smith?

3. sdkidaho

Could God, today, reveal revelation to man?

4. Buffalo Howler

Hebrews 1:1-2
    God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Luke 11:13
    If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Luke 24:45
    Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

John 16:13
    Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

He does through the Holy Spirit. Paul prayed that all believers would be enlightened. Do all Mormons have the same mind as Joseph Smith did?

5. sdkidaho

I asked:
    You answered:
    Does your answer mean that you believe that God would not or could not come and speak with man, today? I'm not asking if He would or could through the Spirit, but if He would or could, directly, Himself. What is your belief on this?

6. Buffalo Howler

He speaks to me. Just as he does to all of those that are his through his word. John tells us the word of God lives in us.

1 John 2:14
    I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

Personally would hesitate to trust an angels message because the word says the saints will judge them. Jesus did the same by using the word of God and saying “ it is written”. The Devil is a theologian too. He tried to deceive by quoting a Psalm.

1 Corinthians 6:3
    Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Can you have all that Joseph Smith had? Will anyone else receive the same revelations he had?

7. sdkidaho

Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. They gave him instructions. Thereafter he was visited by those who were commanded by God to instruct him. I guess you can look at that however you wish.

If you believe that God can and will speak to man then why would it be impossible that He spoke to a 14 year old boy?

What is it you think he has?

Can I know for myself that Jesus is the Christ? That He is my Redeemer and Savior? That He atoned for my sins and saved me?

Yes, yes and yes.

Can I know for myself that the Book Of Mormon is in fact the word of God and another testament of Jesus Christ? Can I grow in the knowledge that was given to him about the gospel of Jesus Christ?

Yes, and yes.

If that’s what you mean by “can you have all that Joseph Smith had?”, then yes.

Will anyone else receive the same revelation that Joseph Smith did? If you mean can we have those truths testified to us by the Spirit, then yes. If you’re asking if anyone else will be visited by God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ... how could any man possibly answer that? You’re asking a mere man to predict the actions of God. Could He? Yes. Will he? Who other than God could possibly answer that?

8. Buffalo Howler

The first part of your answer has my attention. In your own words what was the “instruct and instruction” that God gave him?

9. sdkidaho

10. Buffalo Howler

Can you just type your answer instead of posting links?