Jumping blinds

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait. So the state puts out decoys? Hunters?

The heck with leaving my decoys for someone else to hunt over.

As stated by others, the group which draws the blind is responsible for making the blind huntable. I didn’t realize leaving decoys out was required, but many need big spreads of 500+ decoys (some use over 1000) to be consistently successful, and spreads that size can’t be put out and picked up daily.

Just part of the game on some of our best known WMAs.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Blind hopping has caused some serious problems. Most think if it’s their blind and they are late a hopper should leave. In 60 years I have only hopped once.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Blind hopping has caused some serious problems. Most think if it’s their blind and they are late a hopper should leave. In 60 years I have only hopped once.

How serious? Sounds like hopping wasn’t the problem, but azz holes were. Hopped a bunch when I was younger with no problems. Personally, if a blind “owner” doesn’t follow the rules, he should be out of the draw for a period of time. I’d rather see the entire draw system discontinued than see hopping discontinued. No hopping is one of my big issues with the state blinds. If any blind should be open to hop, it’s the blinds built and maintained with public wealth.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did not mention taking hopping out of the picture. I just don’t hunt that way. Also don’t be so naive about no problems hopping blinds at Reelfoot. I don’t know about other places.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can you name some of these "serious problems"? If it's trashing a blind or theft of some kind, it's not the hopping that's causing that; it's people. To the OP, I've hopped for years, if the blind is occupied, asking "Ya'll got room for one more?" has gotten me into a bunch of good hunts and met new friends.
I don't *think* there is a requirement that decoys must be left out all season.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did not mention taking hopping out of the picture. I just don’t hunt that way. Also don’t be so naive about no problems hopping blinds at Reelfoot. I don’t know about other places.

My point was hopping doesn’t cause problems. Azzholes who don’t follow the rules cause problems. Remove them from the equation.

adirondack46r

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I put the question in this forum figuring we all knew the blind jumping rules already and I would just find out how to better avoid messing up a hunt. I have successfully jumped season blinds 3 or 4 times, always in the mid day. Never been able to hop a season long blind at first light. I am hunting more wade in areas lately but they are just as busy as anywhere else.

I agree with the above though… I have come across some real butt heads but for the most part guys are good if you are respectful and treat them right.

Dixievols

Reaction score
As stated by others, the group which draws the blind is responsible for making the blind huntable. I didn’t realize leaving decoys out was required, but many need big spreads of 500+ decoys (some use over 1000) to be consistently successful, and spreads that size can’t be put out and picked up daily.

Just part of the game on some of our best known WMAs.
I’m assuming y’all are talking about Reelfoot or somewhere out West? I mostly hunt Old Hickory and have never heard of the card holder having to leave decoys out.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming y’all are talking about Reelfoot or somewhere out West? I mostly hunt Old Hickory and have never heard of the card holder having to leave decoys out.

I don’t thinks there is a rule requiring one to leave their decoys out, but it’s the norm due to numbers.

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t thinks there is a rule requiring one to leave their decoys out, but it’s the norm due to numbers.
You are probably correct. I just went to check the regs,and it only talks removal of decoys within 10 days of season close.

So it may be one of those tales passed down thru the years, that has ”become the rule” even though not true.

I was told we had to leave them out by the Ol’timers, many years ago. Just assumed it was true and have done it for years.

Over the years, we have had some issues with things being “borrowed from the blind” and never returned.
Propane stove, heaters, snacks in the gang box, etc…..

Seems every year for the past 7-8 years, we lose 1-3 dozen decoys. This year, it seems 7 dozen picked up and migrated somewhere else.

Latest posts