Just got my dove field all set up.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by no harm-no fowl, Jun 16, 2020.

1. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I worked up the soil and planted buckwheat. I then pounded it with nitrogen. Waiting for rain now. I also installed 2 phone poles, 23 feet high. I will be running 1/4 cable between the poles, so I can put a few dove decoys on it. Just before the season I'll roundup the field and lightly disk. I even put a cement block in the ground on each end to stretch the cable. It only took about 4 hours to knock it all out. Can't wait for dove season.

20200614_123023.jpg 20200614_123034.jpg 20200614_123052.jpg

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Looks nice, love a custom dove field.

What did you use to get your poles set and how do you plan on running your cable, permanently or on a winch?

3. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I like the pole idea. A friend of mine has a similar set up and usually lets the kids sit under it the birds love trying to land. 2 phone poles should be awesome.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Old friend of mine did similar pole set up in his dove field. Used old telephone cable for line and has it rigged so line can be dropped to install decoys. Has an eye bolt near top at one end line runs thru down to tie off cleat at chest height. . Could also be done with a wench at convenient height if really long run of cable to get good and taught.

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

That’s the whole idea behind the winch. Could run a flock up the pole in a skinny minute. If there ever was a decoy that worked for ducks as good as dove decoys work on power lines it would almost be unfair.

6. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to put a permanent cable up. 1/4". Then stretch it tight and forget it.
    I have dove decoys I can deploy on any line in seconds, and you can't tell if it's real or a decoy. We use them on power lines or whatever is in the area to use. The birds love them and die trying to land next to them.

I used a tractor with forks in place of the bucket. I just chained them in the middle and lifted them into position. 3.5 foot holes, then cement. Same as I have done other poles.

So how they work is, you attach a fishing line to the lines off the decoys, (see pic) then you fling them over any line, then you pull the fishing line until the decoy is pulled up and catches on the line. Then you tie off the line so the decoy is held upright on the line. When the pressure is released on the decoy, it falls backward off the line. You just real up the fishing line and your on your way. Because the fishing line doesn't conduct electricity it can be used on any line, electric, phone or whatever. They are the best decoy invention ever, IMHO. See what you think. Second pic is the decoy being pulled up to connect with the wire.
    20180920_122033.jpg 20180920_121352.jpg 20200616_172913.jpg 20200616_173019.jpg 20200616_173100.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    JRS likes this.
  7. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

That’s by God awesome!

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Looks like those decoys are “Hookers”, made by Ure-A-Duk? Nice decoys.

I have been hanging mine on power lines in similar fashion for quite awhile but use very inexpensive decoys that I repaint. Mine have clothes line clips on bottom which is what eventually holds it upright on top of the wire. Attach 50 lb. spool of mono leader to tip of tail but add 1 oz. egg weight to line which aids in throwing decoy over wire. Line/leader comes on a hand spool which allows you to feed off correct amount of line before throwing it over wire “lasso” style. Once over pull back until decoy pops securely in place. I quickly tie off to tent stake I poke in ground. Retrieval is easy, just rewind line onto spool once it falls off backwards and put it your blind bag. No fishing poles to mess with. I usually run 3 decoys. As no harm/fowl said, look natural and are deadly! Maybe I’ll post pic of set up tomorrow.

9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Got a few of those ureaduck dove decoys myself. I use fishing pole w/weight to throw over line myself but I,m on natural telephone pole lines . Addiitional 50 lb.mono wrapped around decoy to pull back over line and hook to tent stake. Work great and doves luv em. First time I put them up had doves landing to first deployed while throwing weight over line for second. The company that makes them has got real schetchy on their order deliverys from what I,ve read lately but they are a good product.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Tracy (ure a Duck) had a lot of damage to his place last hurricane and has slowly gotten back to business. As said, he’s always been slow getting out orders regardless and this didn’t help him. He’s been ready to retire for quite sometime and if you go on his site you’ll see he’s trying to sell off his product line although he’s still producing decoys ....quality ones at that.