Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. chocolate

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. black

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Cost of pup only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

I'm a lab guy and I would like to hear from other lab guys. I've never based my dog on color of his coat. I go on a mission, study the litters, health clearances, and then go out there and make an informed decision.

I've had four labs. Two yellow and two black. My next one could be any one of the three colors. Some people base their decision on the color of the coat. Some on the pedigree and health clearances, some on an impulse buy and others on the cost of the dog alone.

I'm curious about what you do when it's time for another lab. What's your method? Is it pedigree? Color? Or maybe you don't care as long the price is right? Is the size of the dog a factor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Chocolate labs are dumb

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I like a smaller dog. I go by knowing the parents. My current BLM might be my last. He has his quirks but I don't know that I can replace him. I hunt with a guy who always has BLF and they are always named babe. He referes to them as #1,2,3,4 or whichever. I haven't found you can replace a dog, as much as we would like to.

dog duck gun likes this.
  4. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Senior Refuge Member

I have owned both black and chocolate labs, no yellows, at least not yet. I am not a stickler on color typically but the female I just bought at the end of June was one I made sure was a black lab as she will eventually be bred to my male of the same color. There was however a great deal of work that went into looking at the pedigrees of various dogs and comparing against my male's to prevent too much lineage crossing and just to hopefully land on a dog with good traits - intelligence, drive, desire, etc who would pass them on to future pups.

About 13 weeks into her life now, I think we have found exactly what we are looking for.

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

pedigree and health clearances (YELLOW).

Huntges11 and MJ like this.
  6. MJ

I should probably add that my current dog, Luke, was purchased as a started dog. I purposely skipped the puppy stage due to personal health reasons and the fact that I needed a dog that could hit the ground running in 2017.

Sometimes I regret missing out on the puppy stage, and sometimes I don't. Luke and I have the same bond that I had with all my other dogs that I got at 8 weeks. Our first year of hunting was a little rough as we only had a couple of months to work together before season. He picked up ducks, but it was a little rough. He did great on pheasants and quail that first year.

Last season he was a polished retriever. His boat manners improved and his marking from the boat improved. We shot a lot of pheasants and quail over him last season and he excelled in that endeavor.

This season should be another good year for Luke.

Trout Bum likes this.
  7. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Senior Refuge Member

Chocolate should be put down they never amount to anything!!!

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I've had em all colors, sizes, male and female.
    Ubar, a BLM, was my best in NV. Very intuitive, easy going unless you got too close to the wife. Great around other dogs otherwise. Fairly large, bout 85 lbs. Got him from a backyard breeder for $100. Wife got him in the divorce, which hurt me, but I just wanted out.

Tarna is the elder I have now, 11 years old. Y(Fox Red)LF. Got her from another back yard breeder, tho in that case, I had heard both the father and mother were outstanding hunters. Talked to the guy at the club, asked if he had any females (I had decided I liked females better, after Ubar) He had one. $300. I said I would take her.
    He showed up at the club after hours, and momma got out. I almost died. She looked like an overweight weiner dog, black, with a rat head. Very short and stubby.
    Lord help me, what have I gotten myself into?
    Then Tarna got out. She was perfect. Perfect lines, head, size (for her age) and a darker than I was used to yellow color (which I later found out to be called Fox Red)
    She has been, and continues to be, amazing. She has found birds that I called as lost when I shot them. All types of birds, not just ducks. Very soft mouth. Very easy going, even timid, until you picked up a gun. Also very intuitive, even more so than Ubar. We hunt a canyon for grouse here. She rides on the ATV till we get partway up, then hops off and works the road area and open areas on the left was we go up. Once we get to the top, we turn around, and she drops into the canyon, bout 40-50 yards deep, and works the cover down there. I didn't teach her that, she just figured there was no reason to stay up on top anymore, there were no more birds there.
    Tarna watching.jpg 20181109_093911.jpg

I just got a new pup, Talena. This time I went with a respected breeder, good lines, all the stuff they talk about on the Dog Forum. $1000 I found the litter late, and all they had left was one YLF, which is what I wanted. I went down to see the litter, and brought some paracord gifts for the owners. ONE pup was all over me, and she was the darkest of the litter, decidedly darker, as all the others were almost white/blond. She was the one I wanted, but I was #7 of 7 in the pick list, so I was going to get what was left over. I kept mentioning how we were meant for each other, and they kept saying they agreed, but I was #7 of 7, and when I got there on pick up day, there would be only one dog left.

When I arrived, the wife was outside, and went inside as I was getting out of the truck. She came out, almost screaming, "You got YOUR puppy. I don't know how it happened, but you got YOUR puppy!" I don't know who was happier, her or me.

I was worried after the first couple of months, she wasn't really into fetching and what not. She was smart, learned quickly, but kinda hyper, which was a shock compared to laid back Tarna. Her and Tarna get along well, and it has perked Tarna up quite a bit. At about 5 months, something in Talena clicked, and she became a fetching fiend. That is ALL she wants to do. She uses her nose well, and is taking hand directions pretty well (I am not a field trials kinda guy, I will help a dog get into the right area if I have to, but looks like Talena is going to make that easy) She loves the water, loves to swim, and in the last few weeks, loves to ride on the ATV. She knows the ATV takes her to 'fun' places.
    Next month, opening of grouse season, will be interesting.
    Talena Day 1.1.JPG
    Talena n Tarna.jpg

9. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Not one now, but grew up with one.

Yellow is the correct color.....because of the damn movie of course.

Rangerbob likes this.
  10. MJ

You live in a bubble. Color has nothing to do with it.

dog duck gun likes this.