Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. chocolate

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. black

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Cost of pup only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately this is what lab breeding is about these days. You see this kind of crap just about every day.

upload_2019-8-9_20-37-43.png

callinfowl likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Well, you got me there: not one of my Chessies could hold a candle, period. Not one of them!

And I'm not at all certain any of mine would sit in cold water for long periods, as that strikes me as an incredibly stupid thing to ask a dog to do. Be that as it may, I once anticipated a move to North Dakota and initially entertained the notion of getting a Chessie because of their cold weather reputation and what I'd witnessed of miserable Labs in such weather (pre neoprene vests).

But what sold me on the Chesapeake breed was joining and being as active as I could in one of the first HRC chapters before purchasing a "retriever," per se, of any breed as a way of sorting through them. (My pointing dogs all doubled on waterfowl, as well as upland game.) That activity opened a lot of gates and afforded me the opportunity to hunt over a number of really nice dogs, the two most impressive markers (in terms of both location and, especially, memory) of which turned out to be Chesapeakes. And after due diligence as best I knew how at the time, I settled on a pup by the sire of my favorite of those, which became the first of my Chesapeakes.

The fifth is snoozing by my feet, as I've yet to to see anything from another breed, or my own carefully chosen examples of Chesapeake dogs, to make me consider a change. (I've emphasized "carefully chosen," because there are as great of differences within the Chesapeake breed as most any, maybe even Labs.)

MJ likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Calling forum Moderator

I get it Rick, I'm not putting anyone down for their choice in dogs. I'm just sharing my experience with the ones that I've been around. Their owners bragged them up so much maybe I was expecting to much out of them. Their bragging points were they could take the cold water and no one was getting near than in the field or at home. I've been around so many of them that were just flat out mean and their owners thought that was a good trait to have in a hunting dog. Nope not cool at all, it would take a really super dog to change my mind about them. Another one of my old roommates had the biggest Chessie that I have ever seen and it was the best one that I've ever seen. He was so tall he could make retrieves in a flooded rice field without even getting his balls wet. But he was slow and just didn't have that drive I'm looking for in a hunting dog. I guess that's why their different breeds so people have choices.:tu

4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

I've had 7 labs: 3 blacks, 3 yellows, 1 chocolate.
    pedigree means a LOT! color not so much

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I’ve all colors, I don’t think a dogs color has anything to do with their ability. I have always had females that I have had spayed, never had a male. I’ve had good ones in all colors.

dog duck gun likes this.