Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. chocolate

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. black

35 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

32 vote(s)
    32.7%
  5. Cost of pup only

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Or a 'color' - fox red, polar bear white, silver, charcoal...

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Haha. I’d put this chocolate bitch up against just about any other dog. She ain’t trained great, she breaks often, she has tendency to whine occasionally, she really don’t sit that still during lulls, but, but...never, ever had a more birdy dog. She don’t loose anything and the marking ability is insane.

What makes a dog isn’t high dollar training. It’s about decent training at a young age and OJT. Kill 500-1000 birds a year, your black, brown, yellow, green, blue lab, golden, chessy etc that has half a brain will figure it out, quick!

57413B36-4BC8-482F-9C2F-8236E899F2DD.jpeg

Vammy, widgeon and Kornfed like this.
  3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

All time high point derby dog and only dog to win 4 double headers in one season was?

Chocolate. Female.

Vammy likes this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Statistical outliers don’t prove anything.

5. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Where the Hal are you hunting, that your dog is making 300 yd retrieves?. You talking one way, or round trip? If your average shot is 40 yds, is a cripple swimming 260 yds before Fido can get to him?

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Not at all unusual in fields (flooded or dry).

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'd think anywhere the fly-off crips can be seen going down that far, and farther, out, unless one just doesn't bother to pay attention.

stevena198301 and bill cooksey like this.
  8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

What is the pedigree? What program are you doing? Have you done FF? Collar Conditioning? Please post up the entirety your daily training journal or log book. I need to know exactly everything you have done with this dog in chronological order since he or she was fresh off the tiddy. I will also need a detailed look at your financials for the last 5 years, w2's, tax returns, and debt to income ratio. Need to see screenshots of marriage license if you're hitched. Do you own or rent? Need to see a lease or deed, whichever applies. Criminal records search needed and also doctors notes from your last physical.

Failure to provide any of these is proof in itself that you are an incompetent trainer.

Chances are you will have to shoot this dog, buy another, and next time adhere to a better training program.

*Just kiddin, only trying to mirror the responses you'd get on the GunDog Forum with a post like this :l For the record I definitely agree with you.

9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I know. I did buy her from a very reputable breeder in Washington. Never registered her with any org. Spent 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week for 9 months, rain or shine working with her.

In 33 days and a wake up call, I get the pleasure of watching that brown machine do her thing. Will be her 3rd season, and we’re at the stage where we don’t even have to talk to each other any more from the moment I open the garage to load up, til we get home.
    Little things like that make life good

Vammy and seiowa like this.
  10. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have always had black dogs. I like a small female (50 lbs. or less) because they don't pee on the BBQ's or anything else in the back yard, plus they don't tend to fight with other dogs. The smaller the dog, the easier it is to hide them at the blind. I get my pups from the very best breeders, and I'm willing to pay extra for that privilege. I pick black dogs because the great majority of field trial champions are black dogs. This increases my odds of getting a good dog. I feel that I have a better chance of getting a really good dog by going with the best pedigrees, and breeders who really know what they are doing.

This is my dog Moxie who is about to turn 4 years old.

17-8181_Moxie_4-9-17_f.jpg