Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. chocolate

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. black

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Cost of pup only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

5F651749-5565-4C7E-8CB1-500AB6C3CD84.jpeg Pure white. Helps blend in better.

2. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it’s the temperament of the ones I’ve had or it’s because it’s all I’ve every had but it BLF’s for me.

metalworx likes this.
  3. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

In the last 30+ years I have owned 4 labs. 2 Black and 2 yellow. All have had great personalities and were good family and hunting dogs. The only real difference I have found that I don't like is the yellows have an enormous amount of undercoat and are continually shedding all through the year. It may just be the litter, but I have spoken to friends that also have yellow labs and they all tell me the same thing.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

While I don't think it is true, my experience mirrors yours, so far. Ubar, BLM, had a decently thick coat. Tarna has something like a triple coat. I swear, her skin never gets wet. We have hunted in -20, and when she gets out, she just shakes off, rolls in the snow, and is almost dry. I laugh (on the inside) when I read threads about neo vests for dogs. While I know some dogs need them, Tarna never would.
    And, yes, she sheds. Considering the temps we hunt in, I will put up with the shedding.

Talena seems to have a lighter coat, but she is really to young to know, and hasn't experienced an 'adult' winter yet. I will say, even as a pup (born first week or so of Dec) she loved the snow. As I recall, her puppy fur was kinda thick. Who knows.

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

My two Chocolates who are brothers,shed constantly.

6. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

I’ve had all 3 colors; some back yard bred, some with high dollar pedigrees. All but Carver has/had double coats that shed constantly. I can tell you yellow dog hair shows up immediately on everything

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. pgquackstacker

pgquackstacker Senior Refuge Member

1D59B0F0-ACF2-4F04-8191-A0C04B4B7B76.jpeg
    I’ve only had black and chocolate females but I’m pretty partial to this pup. She’s got crazy drive and is a damn good family dog as well

8. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Senior Refuge Member

There is a reason they are brown! They are nothing but sh!t!

9. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Senior Refuge Member

No offense to guys with brown dogs!

10. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

I've had 3 blacks and one yellow. My yellow was my best until my son got this black female. She's got a quarter chessy in her,but looks completely like a black lab. The easiest ever to train and super smart and very athletic. Catches balls in the air from at least 10 yrs away. At 14 months doing blinds and hand signs. 2day to break to decheat and one day to learn to turn and float. I hope this girly last a long time she's a very special one for us.