Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. chocolate

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. black

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Cost of pup only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. callinfowl

callinfowl Calling forum Moderator

Edited, so you can remove your likes if you're interested.
    Labs stink!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

yea, it does... chocolates have been inbred so extensively in puppy mills (because that is the color most in demand for suburban lab “pets”) that their genetics predispose them to being dumb... of course that can be mitigated by spending a lot of money on a dog where progeny can be provably traced for multiple generations, but you really take your chances with a “backyard” breeder as @Native NV Ducker says.

Go to an AKC Hunt Test. There is a reason at least 90% of the dogs are black or yellow.

Bigshot75 likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Calling forum Moderator

You take your chances with any breeding, good breeding just up's the odd's that you will get a good one. I've seen some amazing chocolates and some that were insane, then again I've also seen a lot of insane blacks and yellows, the only real colors a lab comes in. I laugh at this silver and fox red s***. My wife wants a chocolate lab next......nope, we are getting a black or yellow dog just because I don't really care for the looks of the brown dogs. But in all honesty if the dog had great lines and I got to hang out with both the momma/bitch and poppa/sire dog for a day to check them out, I'd get a brown dog if I liked what I saw.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

All else being equal, I prefer the utility of "deadgrass":
    028_2a.jpg

But the best thing about it is that it comes in Chesapeake.

Brottboss, MJ and seiowa like this.
  5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I was going to make a comment on a real “brown dog” but looks like you got it covered ;)

6. Rick Hall

Big difference between a "brown dog" and a flavored one.

Brottboss likes this.
  7. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I've had only Yellows. Man, do they shed!!!! I know I didn't install shag carpeting, but I've sure got it. I've gone thru 3-4 vacuum cleaners, none seem to be able to keep up with my dogs. I can vacuum daily and still find a ton of dog hair. Oh, and dark clothing is pretty much out of the question.

Vammy likes this.
  8. Rick Hall

Casual observation from out here in the cheap seats has me thinking that whoever it was who opined that yellows have more undercoat than the other flavors was generally right.

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

My black lab passed away quite awhile back. I recently replaced all of the flooring in my house. Yet I still find black lab hair on the floor. And every time I do, I just smile and give a nod to Tucker.

Dog hair in the butter dish comes with the territory when they live in the house. I have accepted that.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I didn't know they were a rage... My fox red is getting old. If they are the new rage, that means my next one will be twice as high as it should. That sucks.

I chose mine based off a recommendation from my FIL. A guy he knows was getting reject service dogs from the military. I told him I wanted a more laid back dog. He showed me a fox red from Duck Hills who took pretty well to me, and I handed him $300. When I get another dog (I don't know that I'll do it for a while after mine passes), it will be from the same breeder, so long as it's still running.

11. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yellow dogs get my vote.
    Best damn dog I've ever had. She can hear the ducks coming for miles

20180812_162822.jpg