Just Labs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 8, 2019.

what color and why

1. yellow

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. chocolate

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. black

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. pedigree and health clearances (any color)

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Cost of pup only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

My brother has a couple dogs (lab mix rescue mutts) that shed a lot. He’s got one of them high dollar Roombas (premium model, although he said he got a reman off EBay) and says it works wonder on dog hair that’s on the floor.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Grew up with a yellow so just for a bit of nostalgia.

TDS- It's amazing how much hair a robo vac picks up every day. How is my dog not bald...how is my wife not bald?

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

The most popular dog breed in the US is the Labrador Retriever. The most popular color is yellow.

I would imagine that few chocolate labs are purchased from puppy mills by the majority of hunters or dog game competitors. There are still clean lines of chocolate labs to choose from.

I’ve been to plenty of hunt tests and field trials. I’ve seen Master Hunter chocolate labs and FC AFC chocolate labs. I’ve seen chocolates that were picked up mid series. Same with blacks and yellows. Some dogs can compete, others can’t.

I’ll concede that there are far more titled black labs than yellow or chocolate. But that’s a numbers game. There are a lot more competitive black male labs at events, so the law of averages is in their favor.

4. MJ

I just bought a roomba! Every day it picks up enough dog hair to make a small dog. Every. Single. Day.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I use a Furminator every few days. Dog loves it. He lays down and rolls around helping me get spots he doesn't think I got well enough. Tons of hair if I skip a week. Even doing the Furminator thing, I still fill up the Dyson V6 dirt container every other day. I have no idea how that much hair is constantly in production.

newduk likes this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

I worked for a professional breeder and trainer for 2 years when I was in high school. Travelled all over the southeast attending AKC and HRC events. I literally encountered thousands of dogs through local HRC group practice sessions, field trials, hunt tests, or dogs that my own employer bred or trained that were under my care. I too have seen dumb dogs of all colors, and great dogs of all colors. However, I can say without a doubt that a higher percentage of the chocolates (which were a minority to start with) were worthless as hunters. I can also say that without a doubt that a huge prejudice against chocolates exists in the training/field trial world. That prejudice does not exist with black or yellow labs. Whether that prejudice is deserved or not, everyone will have his own opinion. However, my own experience does bear out the notion that chocolate labs are more likely to be no good as working dogs.

I’m by no means the definitive expert on the matter, but I feel like I probably have a broader perspective than most, and if you told me I had the choice of 3 labs, sight unseen, 1 of each color, my first choice would be the black, my second choice the yellow, and I’d tell you to just keep the chocolate because I’m not interested.

hobbydog likes this.
  7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

My grandfather had nothing but black labs. When I got my first lab a yellow he shook his head and asked about the lines and said you should got a black with good field lines. After another yellow I finally kept a chocolate from a litter we had. He again shook his head and said blacks are best, yellows okay and chocolates are the worst. I just laughed and said my normal to each their own and I hope he turns out to be a good hunter and family dog. I have had all three colors over the years and have a chocolate and black now. My best advice is to go with whatever color you want as long as the dog has good field lines and the parents have the standard health certs. None of the lines or heath certs are a guarentee the dog will be a great hunter ot family dog but helps reduce risk especially you know someone with experience of parents and any previous pups from litters.

Some folks have great success with just getting a general AKC lab from a small breeder without all the field line titles from site and dam or all the normal health certs.

8. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

The dog likes the Furminator...the wife not so much.

newduk and stevena198301 like this.
  9. TheDuckSlayer

Dogs with the same parents are just as likely to be good as their siblings, regardless of the color (because the genetics are the same). That should be obvious.

I’m talking on a much bigger, broader scale, chocolates are more likely to be no good.

10. MJ

I use the furminator outside so the pile of fur blows into my neighbors yard. Same with the leaves in the fall.

riverrat47 and stevena198301 like this.