Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Kamado or Pellet Grill

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Wiscoduckhunt, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

So I currently have a master built electric wood chip smoker that I use for ribs and butts and some chicken. Going to use this still but going to set that up for fish exclusively. I also have a decent Weber gas grill for quick hitting burgers and chicken breast....

So I am going to buy a kamado style or Pellet Grill budget is $1000. That leaves door open to traegers or kamado joes or knock of brands.

Main cooks will be ribs and pork butts occasional brisket perhaps and chicken thighs or maybe whole chicken. I was pretty set on a pellet grill but more I read and watch videos on kamado style it seems like a pretty sweet set up and allows for some skill and learning. I am in northern wi and will use year round. Safely leaning towards kamado now ....

What say you guys who have one or both....

2. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I'm no expert, but I don't think pellet anything gives enough smoke flavor. I've got a friend that owns a BBQ restaurant, and he and his family have won all kinds of contests, all over. Alot of contests! They use pellet cookers, and their meat has very little smoke flavor. It's cooked to perfection, and very tender, but there's no flavor.

IDK how they've been so successful in bbq contests. They have amazing sauce so I suppose, it hides it well. They're restaurant has been open for several years, and I've never been to it, that's how well I like it :l Of course I've ate a ton of their stuff over the years, and helped them tear down after contests.

Me personally I prefer real deal pit bbq, or charcoal. Just like gas grills never taste as well as charcoal, for hamburgers etc. I tried chip boxes with wet chips and etc. Gas, and pellet cookers are so much easier to use, but the flavor of lacking IMHO.

Vammy likes this.
  3. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Kamado’s make a mean pizza. Very versatile.

Vahunter likes this.
  4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Big Green Egg user... and in my teens we had my grandfather’s kamado at the house I used. I highly recommend the kamado style cooker. First, it’s highly versatile. I can sear steaks on it at 600 degrees or I can smoke ribs at 225 for hours. Once you learn temp control it becomes rock solid; all that ceramic thermal mass dampens the rate of temp changes so you can stay on top of it without watching it like a hawk, and on a calm wind day it’s pretty much set it and forget it for a few hours until the fuel runs out. Great flavor, from the charcoal itself and whatever smoking wood you want to add. Very happy with my Egg, but I will say the only reason I have it instead of a knockoff is that I bought it from a friend who was moving overseas and selling it CHEAP. I’m sure a knockoff will be just as good, if not better, for the money.

5. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy who loves his Pit Boss pellet smoker, and it makes good 'Q. I have a Pitt Barrel, and until the day I get another stick burner (or @Fasteel72 sells that cooker :l) it's been the best of everything. Charcoal, briquets or lump, add wood chunks for smoke (or not), and once you set the primary air flow damper it is all but set and forget.

Like all things, it has strengths and weaknesses; but it's a darn good cooker for being a barrel.

6. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

Anything pellet or propane is the spinner of the grilling/smoking world.

7. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Thanks everyone who has replied so far...looking like the kamado is running away with it. Going down the dark whole of off set smokers now too, but nothing tripping trigger like the kamado.

8. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Craig said to get a BRADLEY SMOKER , He's getting ready to smoke some ducks that he got using his eotech

9. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Pellet will not put a bark on or crisp up meat (Pork Butt) like a Green Egg will. I have both and both have their places.. Green Egg for me.

10. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

If you want easy, pellet is the way to go. If you like to "fuss" a bit, the kamado style is right for you. My buddy in NC takes his cooking serious and loves his kamado joe. In his opinion it makes the absolute best of darn near everything, and I am sure it does. He enjoys getting his lump as he calls it just right, and he's good with it, uses it all the time. He has the big one and it will hold quite a bit of food. At his prodding I bought a kamado joe Costco had. I have had a pellet grill for years and it makes great meals, but I wanted to try the kamado. After making 3 meals with it, screwing with the damn lump coal, smelling like the damn lump coal, and having the damn lump coal all over my hands, I returned the joe to Costco. The gal at the returns was really surprised as she and her hubby loved theirs. I'm too lazy and the pellet grill makes really good meals. I won't argue the kamado style may make a given item a smidge better, especially a high temp steak, it was just not for me.