KANSAS goes to one turkey spring limit for 2020

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by mister gadwall, Nov 16, 2019.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

As I understand it this one bird limit does NOT apply to the NW and NC regions but is the new reg for the rest of the state of Kansas. Hard to believe where their population must have fallen from a LOT of birds ten years ago. You can read about it in the Kansas forum.

2. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Very noticeable drop in population over the past 20+ seasons I’ve hunted there...

Have not seen if Zone 2 is officially 1 or 2...

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Population is a shell of its former self.

4. Bill Kraft

Bill Kraft New Member

Between drouths, late hail storms(big hail, golf ball and bigger) and last seasons floods the last ten years have been hard on the birds. Saw a small covey of quail yesterday, first I'd seen in a while. Some blame the fall season, I have no knowledge about that. I have believe that low fur prices espically for coon has a lot to do with it...or not.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I imagine this may have as much to do with running the “outfitters” out, as it does with just the bird numbers. No one wants to waste their time with one bird through a guide. I don’t blame them. Heard from a reliable source that over the last few years, guides were down to targeting jakes, just to get clients on a bird, to try and get them to book the next year. One outfitter’s kill totals had more jakes than gobblers one year.

If they lose the clientele, they will move on to another state.

And, the numbers will have a chance to recover. Win-win.

6. thatguy2

Has nothing to do with outfitters. Have everything to do with bird numbers and pressure. Biologist also wanted to close the fall season since that is what the management plan sugests. Got shot down by a loudmouth commissioner who likes to fall hunt.

mudhen likes this.
  7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Interesting thread... I know nothing of the area.

In California, our foothill bird populations are most effected by water... I have seen populations plummet rapidly drought, and return just as quickly with a couple wet springs. And we see similar effects with valley quail populations.

In the agricultural areas, we have seen both pheasant and quail populations decline, and continue to decline. Changing and more effective agricultural practices, clear-cutting ditches for more effective water movement, spraying for West Nile, have probably all contributed... Improved agricultural practices the most, as there are no corners or weed patches, or anything left "un-farmed" for habitiat. I do not see these populations rebounding...

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Most people using guides only shoot 1 bird, adding more adds quite a bit more to your bill.

9. thatguy2

I was at the taxidermist today. He had an outfitter in there the day before that refunded 33 hunters money because they didnt want to come shoot 1 bird. Said he had to write 42k worth of checks for the refund.

10. Bill Kraft

Bill Kraft New Member

WOW that's right at $1275 per hunter.