Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

keeping a pond from freezing Any ideas???

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bbfky, Jan 19, 2007.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Well we finally have some cold weather coming this week and I need some ideas to keep a 3/4 acre pond from freezing over. I don't have a pump or an ice eater so i need to know some creative ideas on trying to keep a section of it open for the geese. Does anyones have any suggestions. I can probably get a couple of trolling motors and thought about using them but wanted to know how to best deploy them to keep as much water open for a hunt next week. :z :z

2. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

A duck club in eastern Washington has a large aerator in the middle of the pond connected to a generator on shore--the result this time of year is thousands of ducks using the pond each day, as everything else for miles around is frozen solid.

3. Boo8meR

Boo8meR Elite Refuge Member

Fill it up with corn!

The geese will keep it from freezing then :dv

4. bnt5

bnt5 Senior Refuge Member

You can purchase a wet suit from a local dive shop and practice canonballs until hunting time, obviously you will need to loop in some raffia to the wetsuit for camo.:p

Seriously though about 400 gallons of antifreeze should do the trick!:l

You could also rent a gasoline water pump and keep it running during the cold part of the night?

5. Ozpa

Ozpa Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't sound like you are going to be able to fight Mother Nature much with that.

If you are going to keep it open you'll need either heat or motion. Heat can come from ground water, but you don't have a pump. Motion could come from an aerator, or perhaps your trolling motors. If I were going to do it with trolling motors (I wouldn't) I'd suggest setting them up so that you create a current in the pond...move water in a circle from one motor to the next.

One idea I've often wondered about is putting a pot bellied stove in the water, and then keeping it well stocked with wood. Perhaps coupled with your trolling motors you could get it to circulate enough for a small hole, if it didn't get too cold.

Otherwise pray for warm temperatures and rain.

Todd

6. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

Out of curiousity, what kind of cost would be involved in keeping a, say 1/2 acre pond, open with an aerator? Upfront cost and yearly power usage?

Might be something I look into when I'm older and fatter and have the money to buy a piece of duck heaven:dv

7. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Small pond...... Submersable pump just below the water surface will pull water from underneath to the sur***e and create enough flow to keep it open.

8. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

If you can get three trolling motors, you could put them in a floating triangular frame and face them outward. Keep the props pretty high in the water, and keep some space between the motors. If you could put a large diameter pipe vertically beneath the props and extend it down as deep as possible that would be even better. Electic pumps on pond bottoms used to keep them open, are usually at least 8 feet deep. The deeper the better.

What willl happen is that the props will push away the surface water, suck up deep water from the pond, and cool the entire pond's water slowly. You should get a pretty big open area with that. If you use only one or two motors, you will get a much smaller open area as the replacement water is going to come from the surface.

Tom*

9. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

You need to draw the water from as DEEP as possible.

Here is a deicing system:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/airolator.htm

Look at the second unit down.

In cold weather this one will keep an ice-free circle with a diameter of 8 feet times the depth of the pump. It takes about 20 KWH per day, so multiply that by the cost per KWH in your area.

The trolling motor array will work for you in the short term, if you can set it up.

Good luck.

10. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Hey look at my post. The word S-u-r-f-a-c-e was edited:l is that a new dirty word or something?