Kennebunk boat info

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by kahunna, Jun 22, 2020.

1. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Asking for a fellow Virginian who purchased a house in Kennebunk...what size boat is good for rivers and ocean in safe weather conditions in that area? 20, 25,28 footer, or larger? Experienced boater, but brand new to that area's waters.

2. Dogman

Dogman Moderator Moderator

Safe weather a twenty footer is good,or even an 18 or 16 foot boat.Get as big as you can afford I'd say.
    V hull is a must for salt water.

3. kahunna

Yeah, I kind of had a 20 or 21' V-bottom in my mind, but don't know the waters in the immediate Kennebunk area. It is also hard to tell on Goggle Earth sat views what the waters are really like, in that you have currents, tides, etc. to consider.
    Thanks for the reply. I think the guy is going to consult with a local marina owner in the area on what folks recommend.

4. kahunna

FYI...ended up getting a 22' Robalo (maybe a Cayman, not sure) center console with a 200 Yamaha.

5. Dogman

Dogman Moderator Moderator

That should be a nice boat for the salt water off southern Maine.Boating season here isn't as long as you would have in Virginia,I know I was stationed there in the CG.Best thing is to get familiar with the area and have fun.

6. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

That boat will be perfect for the area. I've guided out of an 18' Bailey Boat, 20' Alaskan and currently 23' Duckwater. He'll be fine. Enjoy

7. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

I imagine the tide height and structure will be more of a learning curve. Lots of unforgiving granite under the surface.

Dogman likes this.