California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Kicking boats off the bay.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Wait for unemployment to hit 25% and tell me where you’re at.

Again, I haven’t downplayed the virus...I’m simply stating facts. Economic impact will last for years. We could have ten million people out of work in this state alone. That’ll cause far more deaths than the pandemic.

George, freefall, letmwurk and 4 others like this.
  2. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Just food for thought...What do we do when this virus or another one like it comes back next flu season? Shut down again?

OK, so the President said self isolate until April 30th. What if that isn’t long enough? Will small businesses ever recover? Lives are being ruined irreparably. Is that worse than the risk of a predicted death toll from COVID if we completely shut down the economy? Fauci said 100-200 K people could die from COVID. Perhaps there is a better way to do this quarantine. If over 60 years old or in a health risk group, quarantine!! And don’t be around those in your family or people who are younger. Perhaps cities over certain sizes with close contact and mass transportation? But why the entire state of South Dakota and Montana for example? I’m sure we will get better at this quarantine stuff as world-wide pandemics become more frequent.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    grizzly, WILDDUX, freefall and 2 others like this.
  3. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

It is quite a fix we are in. If some state are relaxed from guidelines how is that achieved? How to bridge unforeseen consequences? Will trucks be backed up at state lines? Open select interstate corridors?
    We must do our best for BOTH health and business as usual .

4. Letumwork

Letumwork Senior Refuge Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't comes to mind. The virus will run it's course no matter what we do. Because the Hospitals are ill prepared to deal with the rapid influx of infected people that need advanced life support, the government needed to slow the virus down with numerous measures that have had the unfortunate result of killing the economy. Until they produce an effective vaccine or identify drugs that are effective in combating this thing, it will come back again and again just like the common cold or Flu. If you do nothing and let the virus run it's course then a lot of people will die including health care workers and first responders. When you quarantine people and shut down the economy you kill people and destroy businesses and jobs. Maybe the best solution for the next pandemic is to be much better prepared to deal with a large influx of very sick people so that extreme measures that kill the economy are not necessary to slow the spread and the people who get really sick get the care they need in a place that won't infect others. Special Pandemic Hospitals strategically placed throughout the country with all the equipment necessary to provide care and a well thought out plan to staff the hospitals with properly trained people then just let the virus run its course. Having all of this happen in an election year hasn't been helpful either. I think some of the decisions and policies being made have been detrimental to the cause and done purely out of a desire to keep or gain political power but what the heck do I know? Maybe next time we will get it right or maybe we will all forget 2020 and repeat history once again the next time around.

5. Downwind

Downwind Elite Refuge Member

I probably need to slow my roll. It's great I have health insurance. Probably going to go from isolation to detox to rehab if I can't get out soon.
    Wish I would have brought my whiteout, iceman, and a couple speck calls with me. I could sit out back and drive the neighbors crazy. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    freefall likes this.
  6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

For example, my daughter works at a mine in MT with thousands of folks living in 4 counties on the payroll. If Covid sweeps through the mine they could ultimately have to shut it down. It would take a year to get back up to full production if that happened. The mine is still open, but employees have to go through a rigorous screening (Q&A, temperature check, anyone with any symptoms whatsoever denied access) to get on site each and every day. The counties that these employees live in do have Covid cases. So the statewide lockdown is helping isolate those people when they go home and (in theory) lessens the chance of community contact bringing Covid to the mine.

freefall, Phytoplankton and Tommyo like this.
  7. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Numbers can get crazy....seems nobody looks at numbers these are from 2017 world wide.....

upload_2020-4-1_13-35-52.png

freefall likes this.
  8. Gene

Gene Refuge Member

I was speaking with friends in the areas I like to fish and crab at in the bay area. The state closed down the piers but left the beaches open but closed the parking lots. Because I can no longer walk more then 50yards that shut me down until things get back to normal. You can't get a parking spot close enough for me to make it to the beach. I'll survive it, maybe start working on the old boat so I can get out into the deeper water.

9. Capt.Gregg

Capt.Gregg Elite Refuge Member

Today DFG was checking boats(Marin) usual PW not enforcing personal distancing. SFPD does not like party boats. all I got

10. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

what does "usual PW" mean?