Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Timber, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

Looking at getting a set of good knives for the kitchen. Who makes good knives, at a decent price?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Name brands cost money. May, or may not, be worth it, depending on your budget.

You would be well served to look at some Restaurant Supply places. You only need a few knives. Chef's knife, Paring Knife, Fillet knife, and maybe a Carving Knife (tho I use an electric for that)

Before I was an LEO, I was a Chef at a major hotel in Vegas. Nobody spent money on fancy knives. We got them from the local Restaurant Supply store.

Really 'hard' steel holds an edge longer. It is also harder to sharpen correctly. Softer steel is very easy to touch up.

Look at America's Test Kitchen for their reviews. They test many brands, side by side, and will give you a 'Best' and a 'Best Buy'. I find them to be right on the money.

This is an overview on how they tested the Chef's knives. For their recommendations, you have to be a member, but you can read the testing methodology. In the end, it was the Victorinox....
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D3...1367436406.1579192589&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

I have one, and love it so much I bought some for friends for Christmas. 4 years now, and still loving it. Their entire line is a good choice.

As a side note, for touching up your kitchen knives, I LOVE this....
    https://smile.amazon.com/Rada-Cutle...579192905&sprefix=Quick+edge+,aps,1252&sr=8-4

I eat a lot of diced tomatoes, and we want a nice sharp edge for that. A couple of pulls through that sharpener, once a week or so, and the edge almost falls through them. Small, cheap, can keep it on the back of the counter. 20 seconds, and you have a new edge.

Timber likes this.
  3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Native, I use one of those sharpener! :clap They do work good, but seem to really take some steel w/them! I use several LamsonSharp (made in the USA) knifes I bought at a Restaurant supply store! 35 years ago they were in the $40-60 range. I do watch ATK & seen that very episode on Chefs knives-not a bad $! I am looking for a slicer/carving knife w/the blunt end like they use (Victorinox brand)! :tu

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I get veggies outta the grocery store trash cans for my 30+ rabbits. They get fed twice a day. I chop up a 4-gallon bucket of assorted stuff for each feeding. I have an old chefs knife from my restaurant days, and mostly I use that. For melons, I use a carving knife. I found it in the junk knife drawer bout a year ago, and since I never use one in the house, I took it outside. I use it for hard stuff, watermelon and other assorted melons. Cuts through them like butter.

Again, that knife was also from my chef days. It looks exactly like this one, and is about the price I paid back then....
    https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Slicer-Ultimate-White/dp/B005P0OJNY

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

IKEA.

Everybody will make fun of me for it but man they are inexpensive and work well. Easy to sharpen etc. Tons of shapes and sizes.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

tomturkey likes this.
  7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

ps. fillet knives are cheap and really, really good.

8. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I love the Rada knives, but didn't like that sharpener a lot. I still use a soft stone and they take about a minute. I have the old time butcher knife and its a kitchen favorite, but flexible like a filet knife. It does do an awesome job filleting the silver skin off a deer back strap though!!

tomturkey likes this.
  9. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all of them!

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Hard to beat Victorinox for the money.