Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Timber, Jan 16, 2020.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I am an ex "working chef", and am partial to Wufstof heavy, or Extra Wide Chef's knives. You don't need a set, just a good Chef knife, and maybe a paring knife. I have a 9 inch Chef that I bought in about 1982, and a 13 inch Chef that I bought around 1985 or 86. I also have an 10" that is maybe 25 years old. Except for a year or two when I thought using a cleaver for all of my prep work was cool, I used them nearly every day. I keep them scary sharp. The weight and balance of those knives is what makes them so good, but they can also take your finger off if you don't watch out.

2. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

Well, I decided to just get a set of the Victorinox knives, needed new steak knives also, so just bought the set!

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

And? Your review?

4. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

I haven't gotten them yet, but I'll let you know!

5. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Tip: Make sure you get a good knife sharpener/re-honer now that you have purchased good kitchen knives. Purchase of one is just as important as the knives you have bought!

6. Native NV Ducker

tomturkey and OneShotBandit like this.
  7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Just keep them sharp from the get go. A couple of strokes across a steel and they should stay sharp for ever. I use this steel just about every time I use my knives, and probably about 4 X per year, I'll give them a few swipes over a 1200 grit diamond stone. sharp.jpg
    This technique has served me well. the knife in the picture is about 40 years old. I used that knife professionally nearly 7 days a week for about 13 years. It has broken down hundreds of lamb, thousands of beef quarters, and de-boned tens of thousands of chickens . it has a little bow to it, and a few good ni 8 inch chef.jpg cks, but it is remarkable good shape for its age. It has never been sharpened by anything other than what you see in the pic, and is still as sharp as the day i got it.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  8. kahunna

Native - Is there a practical lifespan on that Rada sharpener's two wheels functioning that you have found?

9. Native NV Ducker

Nope. 2 years, weekly use, no drop off.

10. kahunna

Thanks for the info, going to buy a few for gifts and wanted to make sure the product will last for a while.