Diver Hunters Forum Sponsors

KS,OK,MO,AR Ruddy Ducks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Kansasduckmen, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Kansasduckmen

Kansasduckmen New Member

Hello All I made a post about Ruddys last year and got a great response. I was curious of public places,lakes,marshes if not a area where you have seen them common or at all in those states its my goal this season to try and track a ruddy duck down. Since I was young I have always wanted to kill one and where I live its all but unheard of. I greatly appreciate any help.

2. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Well I’m not sure about any of those states. However, we have always noticed the canvasbacks and ruddy ducks seem to show up at the same time in the area we get to hunt, it may be just a coincidence, but I would look for cans and you most likely will find ruddy ducks.

3. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

Come to Alabam I can put you on as many as you can kill. These a place I hunt that they love to fly behind this one island and I have set there and watched 30-40 filter thru a cut, I don’t care to shoot them just because I have killed them before and not really what I’m targeting. Fun little birds to watch

Kansasduckmen likes this.
  4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted in MO all of my life (32 years in the blind) and rarely see ruddys. And I hunt a lot of big water. Usually when we did see them it would be a small flock that would hang around a few days and then leave. They would swim into our decoys and if it was slow we'd try to jump them to shoot .... I can't remember a time they would jump, they would just dive and come up way out there and swim away. So, I can't give you much help.

As someone who loves to hunt divers, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of divers we stop and hold in MO anymore. Save for some late season goldeneyes, it seems most others pass us by pretty quickly. I've sat on the Miss river on big flight days where thousands are moving south, and very few stopped. I would drive down and look at the refuges on the river these days and see some, but not a ton. And within a few days most were gone. I don't think we have any real food sources for them anymore. From what I can tell they mostly go from Pool 19 straight down to Kentucky/Barclay and pass us by. At least that's what I gather from the refuge surveys and hunting reports.

mmayes likes this.
  5. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Target city sewage ponds. Seriously. When I was a kid we killed them by the towsack full off the city **** lagoons. SEMO.

P

6. Kansasduckmen

Kansasduckmen New Member

That would be awesome! Sent PM. Thanks everyone else as well in my search to figure anything out on these.