KS seeks info from waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Kansasoutdoorsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

Great thread...I love to see the passion for this sport we all love, no matter what the individual position or opinion is...
    We are all attempting to protect our own piece of the waterfowl pie in a very diverse & unique migration state & that is a good thing...The almighty $$$ though, is the one thing that is bringing a big change to the pastime we all live for each fall...& that is not good...

2. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

What I am seeing is larger operations that run the entire flyway are recruiting local guides (think Avery black hoody types) to guide with them. This gives them a local contact in each state. These guides run waterfowl for the bigger operations and break to run their local deer/turkey customers each year then after a month get back to waterfowl. Constant drama with guides jumping around to different operations and shady short leases to get what they want and move on. Some of them end up as threads on here for getting busted just to put customers on birds. but the money isnt in waterfowl like it is bow hunting for deer.

My farmers are approached numerous times each year to lease. Luckily they are my neighbors and close friends and I am the only one they trust to hunt. It also helps they do not need the money otherwise I would surely lose my deer spots as well. I had one guide find out I am the guy with permission and call me up to try and offer me money to go around the farmer. He would pay me 2 GRAND PER HUNTER!! to let them use my stands, my feeders, my food plots all he had to do was drop the hunter off. All he asked in return was that i run my game cameras and send him pictures :no:no... He was charging 3500-4500 per hunter and was booked solid. So he was making 2500-3500 FOR DOING NOTHING BUT BEING A TAXI SERVICE. I told him to kick rocks, but I can bet you he has guys that jump on his offer.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Idk. Last year a river spot we had hunted previously a guide locked up paying $1000 for a week. Off the top of my head I can think of around 10 waterfowl guide services that have sprouted here in the last 5 years. Mostly local operations too.

Ramblingman likes this.
  4. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of local guides here. They are leasing for a day or a few days wherever the birds are. They usually have 10+ guys in their parties. Not good for Kansas hunting or youth recruitment.

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Maybe the new KDWPT Secretary will do the right thing and address this epidemic and restore Kansas outdoors to it's former glory before it's too late.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Oh, guiding on CB has not been stopped. It's just gone underground.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

While I agree that only about 1/3 the total CB acreage is huntable (two-thirds are refuge poos/ dry edges/inaccessible cattails/etc., I don't agree that even one hunting pool is closed every year.
    The last year I remember any pool being closed was about 2013, when 3B was kept dry.
    Your last sentence was spot on.

8. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

you are right i shouldn't say closed i should say drain it for water management. I thought before 3B, it was one of the 4 pools? maybe that was just drought

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

My brother lives between Big Sandy and Realfoot in Tennessee. This weekend is a big event where they have a lottery style drawing for roughly 350 state blinds that cover around 5 wildlife management areas. If you win a decent or really good blind, guides or hunt clubs immediately offer you multiple thousands to transfer it to them.

10. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

3 meetings this week, who is going?????