KS seeks info from waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Kansasoutdoorsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. SEK HUNTER

SEK HUNTER New Member

For some reason, I thought the commissioners would be present to field questions and hear comments. It looks like we will have that opportunity in SEK on January 9th to address the commission. Location has yet to be determined.

I felt like they skirted the question on, “what their recommendations” would be to the commission. Maybe some of you felt different. I would like to get a copy of their power point to study their data a little closer. They had a lot of good information, but we went through a lot of data in a relatively short amount of time.

They also brought up a question regarding Canada Goose limits. They said there was an option to increase the limit to 8. Would like to know everyone's thought on this. The current limit of six seems like more than enough to me, but maybe I'm missing something here.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I was told by the head of the KDWPT that if all they did was what biologists presented there would be no need for a commission. He said the commission is a form of checks and balances. That was the old head. I havent had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Loveless

3. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

I personally passed on lots of geese last year while we were hunting. 3 or so is plenty. I personally dont want 6 everytime the opportunity rises. Just my preference...

4. dux/24 7

I think the commission should have been there. I tend to believe the biologists, but the others are still in question. Tom probably knows more than most people combined on data, numbers, counts, nest studies ect. Thats all he does year round.

5. dux/24 7

They brought up hunting until jan 31st maybe eventually. But gotta give up 5 other days somewhere in there. Here i would open 5 days later and add to the end to get there. They also stated about the importance of opening on a weekend and trying to end on a weekend being important to most people on a lot of their surveys. Which personality that means nothing to me because I am very flexible when I get to hunt luckily but I do understand a lot of other people not being able to. They also mentioned the trying to find a couple days where only active military and Veterans could hunt, to kind of take the pressure off and let them get out and enjoy the day. They said they can add it a couple days before the season or a couple days at the end of the season or even one before and one after if it worked out that way. Either way like the Youth Season it would not take away from our actual number of days allowed to hunt.

6. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

The option for 8 Canadas has been available for several years. 6 is too many in my opinion. 3 or 4 is plenty. The only thing higher limits bring is more pressure and more guides. Oklahoma has had 8 since the frameworks allowed it which is probably why AvianX and several other shows started filming down there. I think Nebraska has a limit of 5.

ED Vanderbeck and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I see I am not the only one that saw an uptick in pressure when we upped the limit.

ED Vanderbeck and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  8. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

8 bird limit way too high. More pressure and more guides.

I wish it would go back to 3.

9. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

3 Canadas are plenty for 1 person each day...The bigger issue is with these local Canadas that reside 90% of the year within the urban boundaries where they can't be hunted ( which is caused by humans)...When is does finally get cold enough each season to push them outside the city limits to feed on grains, gaining access to hunt them is very restrictive...If you are lucky enough to set up on the current hot field, they are so tame after being around people all year that it really isn't a hunting challenge to bag a limit...The smaller arctic canadas are increasingly being sucked into these urban wintering populations when they migrate in & we are losing opportunities to hunt them as the fly out to feed with the crowd...We need to remove or at least reduce the number of these urban Canadas (as they did in Denver this past June) & have the option of putting hunting pressure on them out in the rural areas where we can return them to their wild state of mind...NC

10. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Can you give more information about the active duty and veterans thing? At first glance I’m completely opposed to that, veterans and active duty are grown men and women who made a conscious choice to enlist and don’t deserve greater access to hunting privileges than others. If they’re new to hunting, great! They can take advantage of mentor marshes etc - where does that slippery slope end? I don’t like the idea of creating a “privileged” class of otherwise experienced hunters who get a special season, that’s not fair or equitable to the public who pay just as much into the system as anyone else.

Edit: I just want to be clear and say I think it’s wonderful that there are orgs which get active duty/vets out hunting but the job of the state is to manage our natural resources in a way which maximizes opportunity for ALL people, not a specific group based on their employment.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019