KS seeks info from waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Kansasoutdoorsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Thats all they mentioned. Maybe clearing a couple days in the future for said military people. Could have it the same as youth or a separate time...

2. dux/24 7

They said raising the canada limit to 8 could be devastating to local populations when said birds do move out of unhuntable areas to areas that are being hunted. I dont see what the big deal is thining them out. They will just hang out and get more populated again anyway. Most urban areas probably rather see them moved out anyway.

Neck Collar likes this.
  3. dux/24 7

Doubt too many KC buisinesses whose fountains and ponds are full of town birds would miss them and the mess they make. Well some city tree huggers who like feeding them in the Target parking lot might....

Neck Collar likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

We started doing it this year for waterfowl only, and it’s the Sat before season, and the Sat after season. Same days as the youth hunt.

Neck Collar and dux/24 7 like this.
  5. SEK HUNTER

SEK HUNTER New Member

6. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

With all due respect NB, I have to vehemently disagree with your assertion that people should be not classified by their personal choice of employment. When it comes down to a choice, no sacrifice is greater than to choose to serve your country in the US military...This is not an ordinary type of employment...This choice guarantees that we all get to have a waterfowl season each year by those current & past military generations who sacrificed their physical & personal lives so that we could maintain our culture & way of life...Every US citizen doesn't serve in the US military & it has nothing to do with fairness...It is a simple, personal & patriotic choice...If a couple extra days of duck hunting for our vets doesn't take any hunting days away from everyone else, what's the problem?...NC

7. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if the survey results show that deer and turkey hunters enjoy opening their season during the week. Also, the SE zone is always opening on the Pheasant opener, so don't tell me we have to open on the weekends. Open the SE zone on a Thursday so we can go chase pheasants and quail on Saturday.

So many choices, so little time...................................

8. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I completely understand that position and respect yours as well. No question there is substantial sacrifice that comes with serving in the military. I will make a few points, though. Waterfowl are a natural resource in which each and every one of us shares equal ownership. We are, I think, all aware that hunter participation is critical in the preservation of the resource for future consumption.

Recruitment is of paramount importance to that effort, and I do not believe that adding "bonus" days for a specific subset of people who likely are already active hunters solely based on their service of country is an equitable consumption of the resource. There are MANY groups of people who make large personal sacrifices in service of others (police, firemen, EMS, federal and state agents, public servants, clergy, etc). Are they less worthy?

What, specifically, makes active duty and veterans uniquely elevated above all those others and allows them special privilege to consume a resource above and beyond the general public?

All that to say... frankly I'm not that concerned about it; I just think it's sort of strange.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:03 PM
  9. Millertme

Millertme New Member

Food for thought for you Nick b. I hope to enjoy some of the upcoming duck season for the first time in 3 years and only the second time in the last 5 years. This is because I chose to serve my country and have been deployed during the entire 2015, 17, and 18 seasons (plus missing most of the 04 and 08 seasons as well). Again, that is a choice that I willingly made when signed my name on the dotted line and continued to make when I signed 3 more times for reenlistments. I am proud of my choice and my profession of arms. Please do not think I am saying that I am "owed" those days back. I just think that might be one of the many reasons behind why they are looking at doing something like this.

10. dux/24 7

MIillertme i hope you do get to enjoy a great season. Sounds like its a long time coming. Thanks for all you do.

stevena198301, Neck Collar and Kansan like this.