KS seeks info from waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Kansasoutdoorsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

You should have asked him why so I can sit there and listen to Lauber spew all his ignorance and talk over everybody

2. Kansasoutdoorsman

Kansasoutdoorsman Senior Refuge Member

So having met Brad and talked to him on several things, I can tell you he is a good guy and actually has good ideas. He is going to make some big changes in how things are done and you can already see that in how some long-term staff have been removed from the agency and other changed. One of the biggest changes in Bridgette Jobe taking over Tourism. I can tell you from first had conversations KDWP is moving away from the T to a degree. They have terminated several people and are in the process of "reevaluating" contracts with some TV's shows and other things.

I can't tell you exactly what the plan is but changes are coming. I know anyone in a position of leadership is going to be wrong no matter what they do to a majority of the population but I think he has a vision and less Tourism is a part of that. Now how things change and what takes up it's place I don't know but first wave has happened with a re-alignment of resources and man power. The next year or two may be interesting to see.

Some of your posts are just nonsense...

3. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Annual information night will be August 22nd at 7pm, Wetlands Education Center

Anyone on here planning to go to the meeting tomorrow night? Maybe post a report. Don't trust tuleman, he said 3A was not releasing water and it is now dry..................hmmmmmmmm

4. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

From the update Jason posted today...

Water Level:
    1A-68", 1B-45", 1C-45", 2-22", 3A-mostly dry with shallow trapped water, 3B-18", 4A-20", 4B-shallow trapped sheet water, 5-21"

Hunting Conditions:
    Disked about 200 acres of cattails in 4B. Planted 35 acres of millet in 4B. 3A is being dried out. Will be spraying 1,700 total acres of cattails in 4A and 2.

Expected Hunting Success:
    Poor. Deep water throughout spring and the first half of summer prevented germination of moist soil plants, cattail and phragmites control, and planting of millet.

Jason was dealt a ****ty hand this summer with the weather, but sounds like they're making hay while the sun is shining even if it is the bottom of the 9th. I certainly wouldn't expect the hunting to be as good as it was last year, but it seems like they've got enough water stored in Pool 1 to at least partly flood the pools they've drained for intensive management. With the wet conditions this summer, the cattails had really made a come back from last year, good to hear they're making some progress against them now.

5. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Putting water back on 3a next month after he just drained it would be pretty stupid. Have a little more faith in him than that. 4b, would just depend on if the millet made it. If not, keep it dry.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I said it was not being pumped at that time.
    Water has been pulled out on and off for the last two weeks. Not enough water can get to the hub from 3A to keep the pumps running continuously.
    Staff is doing the best they can, but don't expect much if any dirt work to be done in 3A this year. Do not expect to see any water put in it for the 2019 season. It might happen (the only constant is change), but don't count on it.

There's a good chance we will see water put in 4B before the season opens. No guarantees, just a strong possibility. The millet will not dictate whether it is flooded; the picture is bigger than that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    ED Vanderbeck and Neck Collar like this.
  7. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

I stayed in Great Bend on the way back home from New Mexico on Monday 8-12,got up fairly early and did the Bottoms-Quivira road tour.
    I haven't hunted the Bottoms in 3yrs or so,it might have the most Cattails I have ever seen there (its Terrible) and I started hunting it in the late 80's.
    Not sure where guys are going to hunt come early season opener,there's some open water in a couple of pools,guys will be packed in there tighter than sardines, it will be interesting to say the least.
    I'll be back around 9-15 to drop off some decoys I sold to a friend of mine in Ellinwood,planned on Teal hunting a day or two along with some Dove hunts,not to sure I want to fight the crowds on such a small amount of open water.

Greg

8. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

Ed....You trying to defend a club that would disk hundreds of acres of mature millet the 2nd week of july to try and get a corn crop?

Sounds like you have been corn brainwashed about as bad as the 30 year old club hunter, sticker truck driving, scotch sipping, fat cigar smoking, only interested in shooting Mallards with no skills and the only way to shoot a duck is over flooded corn with an ice eater running the whole month of January....

My main point was the season opened in late October for 40 plus years and in 2011 The Bon Dudd era our season now opens after all the early ducks are in Texasssss....I am going to continue to suggest to all commissioner to make it fair for ALL waterfowl hunters in the S/E zone!

Neck Collar likes this.
  9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Here are the most interesting bits from the presentation last night:

Pool 4A
    Will be 100% sprayed for cattails soon.
    Will be made "primitive by water level" for this 2019 season. This means there won't be enough water in it for powered boats, but you're welcome to try if you want. :yes
    Millet planted on 35 acres, not germinated yet.

Pool 4B
    Will be flooded just prior to season opener (teal season?).
    Will continue to be extensively disced and sprayed until then.

Pool 3A
    Foot crossings on interior roads won't be usable this season. Be careful.
    Other than trapped sheet water, pool will be dry.

Pool 2 and Pool 3B will have plenty of water and cattails, but not much in the way of duck food.
    Pool 3B will probably receive some cattail spraying.

Saturday Pool 5 Youth Hunts
    Entire pool open for youth hunt.
    Maximum of 3 youth and 2 adult supervisors.
    Only youth hunters can shoot.
    Parking ONLY at West Hub and East Hub.
    Must be off the pool by 11AM.

It costs CBWMA $27/acre to spray for cattails/phragmites.
    Don't expect any new regulations concerning closing pools, restricting pools, restricted hours, restricted days, restricted boat motors, etc. any time soon.
    Some days last season experienced up to 80% OOS usage. The average for the season was about 48% OOS'ers.
    Total duck kill for the 2018 season was slightly greater (just over 8000) than the 2017 season.
    Total goose kill was under 400.
    Hunting conditions are expected to be poor.

10. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Mallets we have ducks for 2 days then we wait for 15 -20 days or longer to see next push well 20 days is damn near 1/3 of the season with nothing to hunt. I have no problem open in oct for a week shut down till mid november when the ducks start showing up. How many times have you seen huge numbers of early ducks stay all season they go regardless of pressure