KS seeks info from waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Kansasoutdoorsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

from the report i just got it looks like mother nature threw a wrench into the flooding management at the bottoms... guys having to use their duck boats just to get access to their homes and the roads from great bend to larned. Ark river at great bend 5000 cfs and climbing gage up 8 ft in two days

2. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Blood deception and shop Creeks are the ones that come in uncontrolled
    Wonder how much rain they got in those watersheds?

3. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. However, feel free to come witness the status of many of the intensively managed areas in MO this year. We're in rough shape. Go look at Bob Brown CA, or any of the areas along the MO and MS rivers. That same weather y'all had hit us too, and hit us hard. Money can't fix a full summer of record flooding in one year.

I will never understand why people will take the time to publicly complain about these underpaid area managers, but won't take the time to talk with those area managers in person about these issues.

ED Vanderbeck and Neck Collar like this.
  4. ksgoosekillr

ill never understand why someone assumes the people posting have not spoken with them already?

marshmob likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Too much or just enough....depending on who's looking at it. :)

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Let me be clear: the problem is not lax enforcement, it's LACK OF law enforcement officers. We need to hire about 3 more LEO's dedicated to this one county.

I WAS WRONG!
    I have been informed that at least some of the State waterfowl areas have very strong enforcement of the iSportsman system. And that the fine for non-compliance can be up to $150 per occurrence.
    Use iSportsman guys, if it's in affect where you are hunting. It will help your hunting in the long run.

Neck Collar likes this.
  7. ksgoosekillr

NEOSHO 2018-2019 Season stats...
    How can this be right? Surely these numbers are wrong? no way there are birds killed in the SE zone that early... especially %48 OF THE OVERALL NUMBERS!!:l:l
    My favorite part of this stat is the number of mallards killed in November... you know when there are and i quote "no mallards around" :reader:rolleyes:

upload_2019-9-20_13-11-23.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Neck Collar likes this.
  8. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

That's been up for a while man... Thanks for staying on top of things for us.

That also shows that January has the best bird per hunter average -- albeit close to November. In my mind that is more indicative of quality hunting than total birds killed.

My proposal to the commission was to move the SE Zone split to early-mid December when everyone is dealing with stale birds. Migration timing has a lot to do with hunter success - and SE Kansas typically gets a couple good pushes mid-late November and then don't see any new birds for 3 weeks to a month. People are hunting the same refuge birds for weeks -- often times (at least the last several years) accompanied by a full moon, and a warm up. No bueno.

Those statistics you presented are also only indicative of hunter success on public land. I understand that is important, but in no way paints the whole picture for everyone in SE Kansas (or Kansas in general). And just to be clear, I do not own / have any opportunity to hunt private clubs.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  9. ksgoosekillr

Im sure it has been for up for a while but none of you wanted to share it because it does not fit your agenda.

Kdwpt manages those public lands, so why wouldnt they set the seasons based on results from the stats off them?

I also find it hard to believe that those stats are isolated to only one place in SE Kansas and dont mirror what is on private during the same time frame.

The problem is for those guys that strictly hunt private clubs/ watersheds managed marshes is they want a can of corn hunt with mallards only and the only way they get that is when everything else is locked up and they can turn on their ice eaters. So they go and try to push their agendas to get the seasons set in their favor. Then go on to claim the birds are just not here outside of those times even though the numbers say otherwise.

10. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

Whatever you say dude. :doh

For someone from Salina -- you sure seem to think you know a lot about public land in SEK. Lots of guys find plenty of success outside of public areas - more so as the season progresses.

They do take harvest in these areas into consideration - as well as other hunters input who venture outside the public land bubbles. Everyone should have a voice -- not just the guys with flooded corn and ice eaters, and not just the guys on public land.

Somewhat agree. Stale birds in warm full moon weather are hard to hunt regardless of whether you are hunting public or private -- add in hunting pressure and a refuge and they are even tougher. It may be hard for you to believe -- but there are many people out there that can outperform public land averages by scouting and finding pockets of birds that aren't pressured.

I don't hunt near Neosho very often -- I just think its funny that someone from central Kansas wants to join the SEK conversation and thinks they have it all figured out. The problem with SEK is that when the report says 15,000 ducks on November 7th -- that's nearly all the birds in all surrounding counties. If they aren't at Neosho, its not really worth looking around elsewhere. After the first weekend of pressure they figure it out. Then you are actually only hunting a fraction of that number on the weekly count. New birds. Hungry birds. Whatever. But majority of that 15k aren't venturing out of the refuge until after shooting hours, or on a big weather day.

I would trade 20k sitting on the refuge with all the food and water they need in early November-- for 10k stuck in a refuge/pond/lake ice hole with no food in January. Once survival mode kicks in they tend to be a lot more predictable -- at least for me.

Also FWIW, I have bi weekly waterfowl counts for every wildlife area in eastern Kansas dating back to 1990 (dont ask me for them -- its been a decent sized undertaking to compile all the information). I also have yearly harvest information for several of the larger areas. Stats are great -- but you can't make informed decisions based on one year. I can also tell you that total ducks on an area doesn't directly correlate to hunter success -- but that goes without saying. For example -- in 1996 Neosho held more total ducks than any year in the last 30yrs -- however it was actually only 8th best year in total harvest. Inversely 2004 was 1st in total harvest, but 18th in total ducks.

At the end of the day, Im not going to lose sleep over this and you shouldn't either. Its really not THAT big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I'm going to let the guys at KDWPT do their job (with more data and resources than I have) and accept the outcome either way -- and then adapt and continue hunting. I may not like the outcome, but at least I voiced my opinion to them.

Sorry about the rant. Good luck this season.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Tuleman and SEK HUNTER like this.