Lacrosse Alpha Burly boot cracks

RightWing

Banned
Reaction score
2 years old and worn in rotation with my others like Muck and Sorel.....very comfortable....but should these boots have multiple cracks on the outside layer and the back of the heel be worn thin after just 2 seasons?

If this is typical of their durability then I'll never buy a pair again.....my Mucks are like new(other than 2 holes in the upper neoprene part which is easily repaired with wader cement)and are also 2 years old.

Kamo Gari

Banned
Reaction score
I will never buy a LaCrosse product ever again. Bad experience # 1 was buying a pair of their waders (at like $280.00) that leaked the first time I went in the water with them. Called the CS and was told I must have done something to make them leak, but was told to send them back. Did so and got a replacement pair. Went back in the water the first time with those, and guess what? They leaked too. Called CS again, and spent about 30 minutes on the phone arguing back and forth with CS. They finally relented, and said to send them back in. When that replacement pair came, it had a nice personal touch: a handwritten note saying, "this will be your final replacement. Do not contact us again". Nice, huh? Final straw was a pair of Burlys that cracked and leaked after 1 season. At $120 or whatever they were I expected a whole lot more, and thus, I will never buy a LaCrosse product again. Ever.

Look at Muck or Xtratuffs (AKA the Alaskan sneaker). Had them for maybe 5 years and I have zero complaints so far with them. They're not designed for super cold weather, but I've used them everywhere from tuna trips to marshstomping to clamming, and they still are going strong. Not that it matters so much, but I noted that almost every crew member on the Deadliest Catch show wears them. Says something to me about durabilty.

3inch3's

Illinois Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked at both pair i have and neither show signs of cracking. 1 pr is 4 years and the other is 3

old_sxs

Moderator Tennessee Forum
Reaction score
This could be one of the problems --- :confused:

Never store neoprene waders or vulcanized rubber boots near electrical motors (these produce ozone) A refrigerator is the worst of all --- ozone exposure can degrade the neoprene and vulcanized rubber over time causing it to crack and deteriate. Most Lacrosse boots are vulcanized rubber outer shells --- A good product as long as you watch where you store them.

The secret of the Muck boots is the layer of NATURAL rubber over the outside. This protects it from cold weather deterioration and ozone deterioration.

webfootedquacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Lacrosse that are at least 7 years old, not a single crack. I don't have much tread left in spots.

duckdominator

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Where the water meets the woods, Arkansas
Ive had mine also for about 7 years or so no crack no problems what so ever.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy the Alphas, but I just replaced a pair of 19 YO lacrosse burley's with a pair of Burly 800's. never had a problem with Lacrosse.

BP

RightWing

Banned
Reaction score
Well, with those replies perhaps I'll call them and see what they say. BTW, I've never stored them near electric/refrigerator/any appliance......I have 2 Peets boot/wader dryers......and no other boots or waders have been a problem.

Thanks for the input, gents.

Kamo Gari

Banned
Reaction score
This could be one of the problems --- :confused:

Never store neoprene waders or vulcanized rubber boots near electrical motors (these produce ozone) A refrigerator is the worst of all --- ozone exposure can degrade the neoprene and vulcanized rubber over time causing it to crack and deteriate. Most Lacrosse boots are vulcanized rubber outer shells --- A good product as long as you watch where you store them.

The secret of the Muck boots is the layer of NATURAL rubber over the outside. This protects it from cold weather deterioration and ozone deterioration.

Mine were always kept in the special hunting gear storage facility (closet), where there are no appliances, and things are out of the sun. Thanks for the heads-up on that, though. I bought Lacrosse in the first place because I'd heard good things about them. Bah (spits on floor)! Well, at least the final (3rd) pair of waders is holding up. Once they leak, that's me and LC finished.

Glad others have had better success than I.

Latest posts