Lake of the Ozarks fishing

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by KENNEDY63, Jun 14, 2021.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Going to be staying in the Gravois Mills area for a few days in the next week or 2.

My guess is that the kids will keep me hopping with "recreational" type stuff, but - is it worth bringing the crappie rods down? I have some access to a boat.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

2. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

There's lots of crappie down there, just need to find em. Boat fishing or dock fishing?

3. KENNEDY63

Thanks for the reply.

I will have access to a boat. If there are a lot of crappies down there - sounds like I need to throw in my crappie gear.

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

There are plenty of crappie, docks with beds get large summer schools of fish. You just have to find those docks. And there are thousands of docks. Watch for people fishing for crappie (vertical jigging) on docks to narrow in, or watch other fishermen. Can't promise those dock owners will be kind though, some think they own all the water and the fish since they built the crappie bed. That's rare though.

Another fun way to do it in the summer is head out at midnight and fish docks with lights that draw bugs/shad. Daytime on a weekend there is hard to bear in a fishing boat, i.e. it's like a giant sloshing bathtub with all the boats. But after playing in the sun/water with kids all day, fishing the middle of the night isn't always a fun thought. Good luck.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. KENNEDY63

Thank you! The crappie gear is now officially on my packing list!

6. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Oh and if you go out at midnight, watch out for idiots. Please run your own lights!

One night we almost hit a boat anchored in the middle with no lights on ..... saw a shadow in front of the dock lights and went within 30 yards of it at decent speed. Another time at 3am we quit and headed back across the channel towards my grandma's dock. About halfway, I saw a similar shadow and yelled at my dad to stop. Big speed boat goes 50 yards in front of us with no lights on, full speed, would have cut us in half!

I've grown up going to that lake, and have zero surprise when I hear the number of deaths there each year. Waverunners, drinking, big boats at full speed ....

hunting1 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. court

court Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely the most dangerous weekend lake I have ever been on. But, during the week isn't too bad early and late. Shoot the shady sides of docks and you will catch fish.