Landowner permission now required in SK before hunting

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by STUBBLE BUM, May 10, 2019.

1. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I'm probably not smart enuff, but "game changer" and "different game plan" sound a lot like the same thing. All the farmers and land owners we have come in contact with up there have been great. Friendliest people you could ask for. We occasionally have gotten permission to hunt a property only to find out that the owner has given permission to multiple groups. This usually happens on those areas that are within view of the road. Rarely happens when you find birds off the beaten path.

KEN likes this.
  2. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

A lot of land is rented,,,, it always a good idea to ask if there is a renter involved and do they need to be contacted? (and vise versa if you first contact is the renter) Secondly asking if anyone else might have permission for the field can save a lot of the " Dang,,, why is there another truck out here in this field at 0-dark-30?" scenes!!!

3. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

Can not believe anyone would set up in a field they don't have permission. We have gone 16 years always ask and only turned down once wanted to hunt Sat farmer said no but can hunt after Sat when his son hunted. One time said no too one field but told us a better field

4. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Looking at the new trespass law. We contacted a farmer where we hunt and he said we would need written permission now. Not a problem since we always ask. But when looking for information on it this is all I can find....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Gonna cause a conundrum for us.
    We hunt a Hutterite community. Huge tracks of land. We have always checked in, and last year the guy made it clear, you DON'T need to check with us. He seemed kind of put out, but did appreciate the big bag of coffee I brought. I told him then I wouldn't bother them anymore, and Thank You for allowing us to hunt.

So......?

6. Spikebox

Spikebox Senior Refuge Member

Copied directly from the 2019 Saskatchewan Hunters & Trappers Guide:

Amendments to Trespass Legislation: Legislation introduced in fall 2018 will change trespassing laws in rural Saskatchewan. Under the new legislation, hunters and trappers wishing to access private land and leased Crown land will be responsible for seeking permission from the landowner or occupant of the land. These changes will help ensure landowners and occupiers are aware of the presence of others on their property to help improve safety, reduce property damage and decrease the risk of agricultural diseases. The new law will also provide landowners with legal protection by limiting liability. This legislation is not expected to come into effect before the end of 2019.

Technically, not a law as of yet but I am sure it will be at some point. My personal take on this is, if you are asking and receiving permission from land owner/renter or both in person, by text, or in writing you are fine. I have freelanced SK for 15 years and counting and have NEVER hunted a field or slough without permission period. I have never understood why anyone (local or visitor) would assume they can set up and hunt anywhere they choose without permission? It just shows a lack of respect to all involved.

Native NV Ducker: I totally understand your situation as I hear this every fall. "you don't have to ask for permission each day". Most of these guys are extremely busy with harvest, so they don't think about field/hunter permission management per say. What I have tried to convey over the years is that I want just want them to know who is in what field just in case there is an issue good or bad that is all.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Oh, I agree. I feel better if I make contact, and I have never hunted up there without doing that.
    AND, I will be doing that again. Not too big a worry about taking up their time, as I go to the community, not stop someone in the fields.
    Hopefully, my buddy goes with me this year. He know all the Hutt's in his home area, and even some relatives that live in SK. He is also very good about bother people. I suck at that. I usually just hang back and let him do the talking. He is soooooo good at it. "Hey, I see you got the new Turbo 4000 Harvester. I hear those are great. My buddy back in MT got one last year, and his harvest went up 10%." I just shake my head.

Besides, I haul all those bags of coffee up there, I gotta give it to someone.

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Yup on page 2......

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Senior Refuge Member

Hailing from an "implied consent" state where if something is not posted you can hunt it, think it is the worst thing ever and causes more land to get posted and access denied than if you were required to ask to begin with. Unfortunately, nobody seems to be able to figure out how to amend laws and maintain access for huge swaths of privately-held land by corporations without everyone and their brother taking up their time to get permission.

Some of the large farmers from my home area have started designating time periods for hunting, listed on the filled out and signed form you have to go and get every year now. I'd be touching base with them regardless, but it has eliminated a chunk of problems they were having. Still a bunch of idiots who are unaware they require signed forms to hunt their land (and the farmers don't have the time to go and post every square inch of the thousands of acres they own to meet state regs for posting) and still drive in, impede, and destroy land that is not theirs that they have not even sought permission to be on. First question when someone I don't know approaches me in one of those fields and wants to talk is "So you spoke to the landowner about permission, right?" and if they say yes follow it up asking who they spoke to testing to see if they get the landowner right. It sounds like an ******* move, and probably is in a way, but you would be amazed the number of hunters I end up correcting and filling in on what the actual landowners expectations are for hunters on their land. Most of the landowners I know personally (attended many a party with farmers) and consider friends, so if I have a name will usually run it by them so they are aware who it is and can deal with if there hasn't been permission given.

With the advent of apps like OnX, the RM maps in Sask, and property tax records, there is no excuse for not getting permission no matter the law. Especially in a foreign country.

CopperJonny likes this.
  10. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Native, the Hutterites we hunt around make some awesome socks. Always have to buy some and have bought several throw blankets and a black mad bomber hat from them.
    For the two weeks we are up we usually eat twice or so with them. We sit with the ladies.
    I buy all the bread and rolls we can from them while we are up.
    Have been laid out in their fields and have a heck of a hunt going on and they drive out and park in the decoys just to check on us.