California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Late season geese

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Winchester 1897, Mar 8, 2021.

1. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Ever wonder if you've seen them before..., decoyed in a group they were in, shot their wingman.... or missed them...

2. whackem29

whackem29 Senior Refuge Member

It always fascinates me when a guy gets a band. I always day dream about the things they’ve been threw and have seen but I’m sure my day dreaming is nothing like what they’ve seen! I did get a banded Ross last year banded in 2002!

3. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

Because other hunters passed on it. :dv

candafish and JRS like this.
  4. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Oh I know I’ve missed some. :l

5. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

6. chubby

chubby Elite Refuge Member

One too many.

Dan Mallia and Brottboss like this.
  7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I have thought the same thing. Two years ago on the last day of the late goose in the BOS a lone snow goose flew by out of no where and I shot it. Turns out it was a female banded 13 years earlier on Wrangel island in Russia. Hard not to consider all she had seen, the thousands of miles flown, goslings she had produced and spreads she had avoided in all those years up and down the flyway. Congrats on the band and spending time with Pops!

8. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

My buddy's hunted with Honey Lake Outfitters and did alright yesterday 25 / 4 guns , Unfortunately for me I didn't get to go thanks to my pup needing surgery last Fri and having to be home to take care of him . Looks like I missed out except for the freezing part:l ... Hoping they do a little better this morn .. Sure is beautiful country up there , Cold as heck up there during waterfowl season ... but beautiful ...​
    First pic is from Tues , 2nd from Mon eve ..
    IMG_8702~2.jpg
    Mon eve
    IMG_2576~2.jpg

9. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Winter is starting to give way to spring here in Alberta. Almost thinking by the time I finish my next rotation in camp the Snows should start showing up. Starting to see a few of the resident giant Canada's showing up. Can't wait to get under some spring Snows. Congrats on the hunt and the bonus banded bird!! Always nice to get a band. The oldest banded snow I shot was completing it's 12th migration. I shot it two hours north of Montreal, QC. It was banded on Akimiski Island.

10. Jeff Coupe

Jeff Coupe New Member

You call that "a little slow?" I'd love to be with you when it's "quite brisk!"

10ga.crazy likes this.