Laying hens

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have pullets born March 15. Google says they should lay at 18-22 weeks. These girls have had a charmed life, as I spoil them daily. Who else on here has input? I've had a bunch of laying hens in the past, but never paid attention to time lines. There are several that are starting to show red and swollen combs, a sure sign, but I don't know. The weather will break cooler soon and I'm hoping that gets them started... no rooster here. Any advice is welcome. They are on 16% egg pellets and all the rotten produce I can find.

Last edited:

5 stand

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I raised chickens and showed them in my younger years... 18 to 22 weeks is a good estimate... But it's all up to them hens... They'll lay when they get good and ready... They're stressed right now in this heat, so that could be part of the reason they hold off till cooler weather..:tu

salthunter

Reaction score
In the past ee have gotten layers in May.. October November it starts to happen,, then it slows way down,,
I put a cheapo solar light in the hen house. and they did well through out the winter

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm no chicken expert, but I would say be patient awhile longer. Like Salt mentioned i think ours start laying around 6-7 months, early fall/ late summer.
Our hens are not laying much now because of the heat, so the wife says anyways.

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good thoughts all, and thanks. I agree for sure. I've had hens lay 9yrs when you talk sweet. Once they start laying, they'll go crazy... they'll stall the first winter because ther young and unsure. I'm just anxious

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I raised hundreds and hundreds of broiler chicks. But there is no bonding with meat chickens (very short-term arrangement). Laying hens, however, have time to develop roles and character. Kind of a cool collaboration and worlds greatest recyclers

Last edited:

Kansan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Be patient young grasshopper. They will all start laying sooner or later.