Layout boat rigging

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Duxbware, Sep 12, 2020 at 8:01 PM.

1. Duxbware

Duxbware New Member

Ok, rigging a new layout for the first time. I have read as much as I can, but I’m still confused slightly. So I will have the anchor, then chain, then the rope, with a clip on the end of the rope, to clip to the “Y” line assembly, that will clipped to layout. Now my question is about the float. If I use a decoy as a float on the anchor line, do I just attach it at the clip? Will it be sunk when the “Y” line and boat are attached?

Thanks in advance for the help men. Very appreciated.

2. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Probably not. The decoy wont be floating the anchor just the line. Try it in very shallow water to see if there are going to be any problems.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Use a lobster pot buoy and paint it black.Loop on boat side of that and clip into loop. Use this on seaduck hunting boat to unclip and chase cripples along with a small mushroom deployed off rear cleat to control boat angle. That gets pulled in for chasing as it has no float on it.

4. ByroB

ByroB Refuge Member

I use a 12” piece of a treated 4x4 post. Eye bolt screwed into each end. Have used that for 20yrs

5. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

We’ve never used a float in the layout boat anchor line? Are you describing a layout that you also navigate as opposed to a layout that is placed for shooting only (MLB)? It sounds like your describing upwind anchor or back of layout. Sometimes we’ll use small downwind anchor if guy wants to pull and turn boat to one side for better shooting. We definitely use float on anchor line of tender boat to easily hitch/unhitch to retrieve ducks and switch hunters.

6. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

If your doing real layout hunting with a pumpkin seed style boat, you will not be unhooking it to get birds. You will be using a tender boat. If you use layout boat as transportation you will need to register it. Don't use as transportation.
    You don't have to use a float, it just helps to get line when picking up. Due to line being under water because it is attached to the under side of the boat. We don't use a float, just a long hook. If hunting in any kind of wind, you will need to have a front anchor. The boat will swing too much if one is not used. Been layout hunting for 48 years.

meb likes this.
  7. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

Yes on our layout (MLB) the anchor line attachment points are under the boat. Presumably designed so that the anchor line is not on the surface at all and so the back of the boat floats over chop/waves better.