LDWF actions to hold ducks

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by buttonwillow, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I think the state is in better shape than the Feds on the financial side. We have so many wildlife management areas to maintain though. I think ldwf does its part for us hunters. Federal wildlife refuge funding is just being cut, cut and cut though. Its really sickening at the lack of awareness out there. Basically funding for maintenance, new projects and upkeep gets allocated through their employees. So much per employee. As employees gets cut, so goes the funding. In the SWLA complex they are basically laying off and not rehiring retirement positions. Like Meyer at Lacassine. Have they replaced him? It's interesting spending some time with the volunteer's of the refuge group every month. We try to find ways to fund improvements on Lacassine, Sabine, and Cameron Prairie, where I might wager produce more ducks on a per acre basis than any state wildlife refuge. The tough part about funding for refuges is most Fed Grants can't be used for Fed refuges, only special ones. This is one of the few situations where DU gets a thumbs up for me, because I know that DU has actually done some work and built some of the improvements on the SWLA complex.

I hope we can keep our Federal refuges afloat in the future. Cajunduckman (member on this duck site) has been with the friends of the refuge for a long time. Wrote the Grant to eradicate the hogs form Sabine... Kudos Tim. Keep up the good work.

If anyone is interested in spending time volunteering with the friends group P.M. me. The refuges need help!

bill cooksey likes this.
  2. Underradar

Underradar Elite Refuge Member

Volunteer? Every time I go to those places some idiot tries to put me in duck jail. Let those lazy bastards do the work they are paid to do. I hate them all. I would be happy to see them all eaten by giant cottonmouth alligator hybrids. And their kids too.

Manoduk likes this.
  3. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Tell us how you really feel? . I’m sorry but I LMAO! Good post to go to bed on! Thanks

4. Manoduk

That’s interesting I had a guy debating me the other day on another thread that DU doesn’t contribute to Refuges.
    I think Refuge programs are great as long as they don’t overload the flyway. However many birds are coming into a state, they seem to load up into the refuges and private baited fields. Restricting the opportunity for the “average Joe”. At some point we might as well just shut the whole thing down. The state won’t because the politically astute will still have their planted duck farms and plenty of birds. We still have a Quail season in La but I don’t know one person who hunts Quail, 50 yrs ago it was as popular as Ducks. I personally believe we are getting to that point. When we do if you think your funds are drying up now just wait and watch. It’s the hunters that are funding not the state. We continue to have seasons like we’ve had in the past few yrs , the “average Joe” will be trading his decoys in for new toys. The old die hards will, well, just be to old to fight any longer. I read somewhere a couple weeks ago that outdoor sporting sales were down 18 %. Think about that. Watch your favorite sporting goods store and notice as the waterfowl area begins to get smaller. As your mom may have told you. Be careful what you ask, you might get it.
    I’m not always right but I think I am, otherwise I wouldn’t express it!

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Who in the world said DU doesn't "contribute" to refuges? They'll do habitat work just about anywhere it makes sense. A lot of state WMAs and their rest areas have been helped by DU.

6. Manoduk

Bill, it was on refuge forums 2 or 3 weeks ago.i’m thinking you responded but could be wrong. Like you I found it odd that anyone with any knowledge would say that. I believe the thread was in regards to DU s impact on shortstopping. Actually, it was about their role in refuge and privately own property. I will go back and try to retrieve the post. A lot of post since the then.

7. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

:l:l Tell us your story.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It's also a subject where it's easy for words to be misused and misinterpreted, even when everyone is being sincere.

Manoduk likes this.
  9. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

AMEN!

10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

In a traffic state like Missouri and speaking for the Bootheel primarily, we don’t typically get birds spread out anyway so large amounts of refuge area can but not always be counterintuitive. Our refuges provide additional nourishment and rest areas for birds but sometimes they’re a little excessive and with all the flooded private areas covered up with hunters, who don’t know how to hunt, we get stale birds. IMO our refuges, though sometimes I’m a proponent of them, I believe they do benefit the birds. Most of our lackluster hunting can be attributed to poor hunting skills, educating birds, excess pressure and unfavorable weather. I myself want to see birds from northern Missouri and see them leave for Arkansas and west Tennessee. I don’t want to see the flyway bottle neck birds, whether it’s excessive refuges or weather.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Manoduk and Meach like this.