lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Oct 26, 2020.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Is it possible to buy lead shot for reloading in a smaller bag then 25 pounds?
    Thanks Daniel

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yes , BPI sells 10# bags of Copper or Nickel coated Lead shot ......It's better than raw lead but not as good as OLD time Plated Lead shot !
    If you can find some Remington makes the best HARD shot at 5.4% antimony......IMO

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  4. magnumyammerhammer

I like to play around with some coyote loads.

5. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

I was at our local Dunham’s last week and they happen to have boxes of lead shot in bb size at an 1 1/4 oz. at 1450 FPS. They are Remington express shells and they only cost $7.99 each.
    Way back in the old lead days they would have been just the ticket for geese. The local fox guys are using them.

6. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

I load 1 1/4oz NP BB's and 2's for coyote loads out of my combo guns. NP BB's were my goto up along the northern border, I'm down here in NM and am going to give 2's a tryout on these smaller coyotes.

Smaller southern border coyotes
    [​IMG]

Larger heavy furred northern border coyotes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Don't shoot the coyotes.
    You'll upset the balance of nature.

8. magnumyammerhammer

I shot them with Super X 1-1/2 oz of BBs, The old 2 3/4 inch short magnums, down in Oklahoma. They will flatten them out to 40 yards, maybe a tad further.

oleww likes this.
  9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

What a crock that statement is!

Legally hunting coyotes just lowers the coyote numbers a small amount in the areas they are being hunted. Within a month some coyotes will move into the hunted areas if there are not enough coyotes to protect that coyote hunted area.

When there is plenty of critters for coyotes to eat they have bigger litters of pups. Around here when we have two years or more of drought conditions the coyotes don't have pups or if they do they eat them.

Our coyote numbers cycle along with the quail, rabbit, rat and squirrel populations. When there is plenty of critters for coyotes to eat we have tons of coyotes. When the critter population drops way down because of no rain and no cover the coyote population drops way down also.

Mother nature controls the coyote numbers more than coyote hunters do.

Do waterfowl hunters upset the balance of nature by killing a small percentage of the ducks and geese every year?

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

The lead Super Buckshot that BPI sells in sizes BBB and "T" shot are also two great sizes for shooting coyotes. They give quote bit more penetration then lead BB shot and a much higher pellet count than lead number 4 buck.