Lease Prices for Next Year?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

If in fact the goose limit is dropped to one AP bird during the migration season (and possibly shortened to 30 days) or possibly put into another moratorium, AND the mallard duck limit drops to 2 drakes, no hens, for the 2019-2020 season, what happens to these astounding lease prices everyone is paying? How about the number of waterfowl hunters? The gun clubs that focus on geese? The farmers expecting this revenue?
    Just want to hear some opinions on what to expect with the probable announcement next spring.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Goose clubs will have to renegotiate with farmers. Deer hunters will smell opportunity. Some folks will hedge that this is a one or two year deal, pay up or look to acquire new property.

I doubt that many places average more than 1 goose 2 mallards anyway but a lot of individuals will not want to pay $750-2000 each to belong to a club where they may only shoot one bird a day.

3. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    This is certainly an interesting argument. Certainly the farmers are used to having that revenue, and I am not sure they will want to lower the price for a reduced season. A completely closed goose season is another story altogether... why pay for something that you cannot use. As for the two mallard a day limit, that will not dramatically affect duck hunting for me... I am extremely happy with two mallards in a day in all of the places I hunt...

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Here are a few more ideas to ponder since things have been a little slow around here- Do outfitters still get $150-200 per gun for a day with only a one bird limit? Will the outfitters be able to pay the higher lease prices with less revenue from a shortened season or will this in itself drop the value of a good lease? 50 huntable days at $800 a day is $40,000 compared to the revenue of 26 huntable days (subtract Sundays from the rumored 30 day season) only being $20,800. That drastically reduces potential revenue that one guide can generate for that outfitter over the course of the season.

Also lets not forget stores and/or restaurants like Mollys, Shore Sportsman, Etc. How big of a financial hit do they take from a shortened goose season or even worse a closed one? That is a lot of shells, decoys, guns, clothing, meals, etc that would probably not be purchased as a result. Lets face it there are a ton of hunters that focus on ducks in the Chesapeake Bay region, but it would be hard to argue that the Canada Goose is not the mainly targeted waterfowl species hunted in the State of Maryland.

And....in the case of another moratorium I highly doubt that it would only last one season. In order for it to work effectively I am almost certain we are looking at a 3 year minimum. It takes at least two years for hatched birds to reach breeding age, or so I have been told through research. I believe the last one lasted from 95-01ish, correct me if I am wrong.

5. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

I think everyone will be impacted by this shorten season/bad limit
    From shore store owners down to the weekend pluckers
    But i know if you dont wanna pay for them high leases say in kent county for instance there are ten other guys that will i dont think lease prices will ever go down
    It sucks
    Im surprised i found the leases i did this year for the price

6. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Maybe you limit outfitters in general.

7. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

I think the deer hunters will be able to acquire a lot more property as clubs drop farms after landowners refuse to budge on waterfowl prices. I will probably stick to the western rp zones for canadas, crossing the bridge for ducks and snows.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

@Langford
    Maryland will get 30 days if it is 30 the same way we get 50. Sundays are not subtracted.

As for lease prices- in my acute view- farmers and property owners are a funny fickle bunch. Once they get X price that is typically the basement price. So a guy getting 20K for a farm will have it go unleased rather than take $15,000 for it. But that is a rarity because someone will pay the 20K.

Do these coming regs also spark a renewed or increase in released birds?

9. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

If the close goose hunting I bet a lot if folks will be sea duck and snow goose hunting. Sea ducks will take a pounding resulting in a review of the limits and days for hunting again.

10. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Good luck with snow geese this year. There will be some shoots, but I don’t think there will be many hero’s this year...assuming we don’t have 3 feet of snow! Maybe next year...?

Smackdown 870 likes this.