Leave dog at trainer or bring her home to hunt

Click

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'll throw this out there..
Hunting a dog that's born bred an trained to hunt has always been the end goal for me. If you hunt your dog this season and send it back after the season is to continue training your not really going to hurt yourself if you're smart about it. For the record if your dog makes it to the second series on a trial or can get a ribbon at a senior or master level I guarantee that you are going to the field with a dog that's 20 times better than most.
My female will mark far better than any dog I've shared a blind with, and her handling faults are really on me. She spent some time when she was younger with a trial trainer and it was money well spent. I'd planned to send her back but the battle axe killed that.

If you have a dog capable of even the training for a trial, you're going grin ear to ear in the blind. I am still amazed at what trial dogs do. I'd hunt it an see where the road takes you after season.

Juca

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will never understand that "trainer thing"... what's next leaving a child in kindergarten till the age of 2? I had the best English Setter in the area and one of the best boar hound. Both were taken as puppies (8 weeks old). They never seen the trainer,not a single person can learn a dog to hunt if he has no genes and will to hunt. All you have to do is trigger his/her hunting genes,and you dont need a trainer for that...

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I dont have alot of say in the matter experience wise. if it was me I would bring her home to hunt.

HNTFSH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will never understand that "trainer thing"... what's next leaving a child in kindergarten till the age of 2? I had the best English Setter in the area and one of the best boar hound. Both were taken as puppies (8 weeks old). They never seen the trainer,not a single person can learn a dog to hunt if he has no genes and will to hunt. All you have to do is trigger his/her hunting genes,and you dont need a trainer for that...
:doh Lemme guess, your Setter was "a natural".

Minn ducker

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts/opinions from former field trial dog trainer. If your dog has actual field trial potential, and has been trained for 6 months, since 6 months old, the dog should certainly be capable of competing in the derby class now, (steady, and capable of doing singles, doubles, and easier triples on land and water, and has been taught not to “cheat” water.) Dog should also be handling and be capable of running simpler blind retrieves of moderate length under reasonably good control. And with 2-3 months additional training, dog should be able to run the qualifying stake. In short, your dog should definitely be ready to hunt, and as long as you maintain control and a high standard of obedience while hunting, there would be no problems hunting the dog. On the other hand, if the dog is not at this level after 6 months training, you really need to ask why not? Either the dog does not have actual field trial potential, or the trainer’s training program is not so good, or the trainer didn’t spend enough time or effort on the dog. You used the phrase, “training her for field trials next year”. Well between 6 months and 1 year there should be no difference between what/how you train whether for hunting or field trials. This is the time when a dog is most trainable and depending on the training program, it is when the dog should acquire all the basic commands (tools) necessary to train the dog the rest of it’s life. If the dog is not at this point at 1 year old, you are definitely behind the other “field trial dogs” you will be competing against in the future; and if you’re that far behind it is much more of a problem than what would result from taking your dog hunting.

CA Birdman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Minn she has been there just short of 5 months now and will have swim by and do all the things you said she should be doing by end of 6 months of training and perform at level you suggested. I have videos of double retrieves that take over 10 seconds for pup to get to retrieve, one land and one water, etc. Dog would hunt just fine if I brought her home. Normally my labs retrieve in hundreds every year between ducks and geese. This year with drought, if we total 100 ducks and geese between son and I, I will be surprised as we have no food at our duck club. I don't know difference between Derby and Qualifying, I will ask question if she could run by end of her six months run a derby class. I am sure I could bring her home and she would be all I need as a duck dog.

The input is appreciated.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How capable are you as a handler and trainer? If you can maintain the same standard as your pro, hunting the dog will not be a problem. Problem is, the majority of dog owners can’t.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everything I own was made by another man.

Fair point.

I would argue its like taking credit for a Payton Manning touchdown pass because you donated money to UT football though.

Yea you paid for the facilities and coaching, but you didn't develop ol Payton.

Latest posts