Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Leaving the decoys out

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, May 3, 2021 at 11:55 PM.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Seemed as all the guide services left decoys out in SD Is that a common practice.

Typically how long do you hunt a migration field or near roosts fields

And in comparison to Canada hunting there didn't seem to be as many hunters. Is that typical;?

My wife got a new car and a kitchen-dining room remodel so I may have some leeway on decoys :rolleyes:

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

We hunt a couple spots and mainly leave out the spread the whole migration. One spot we set full bodies early, set them and forget them and not worry about snow. The other spot, we set our socks as soon as weather brakes or if we see a brake coming in the weather to prepare.

salthunter likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The only time we left the spread out was if we were hunting the next day also. However, after having decoys stolen from leaving them out, we’ve never done it since. Plus, I hate giving the birds something to see if I’m not there to shoot them.
    We usually hunt the same field every time. It’s near many roosts and under a great migration route. However, as the routes are changing around here, we’ll have to relocate next spring.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    salthunter likes this.
  4. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

The older I get, the more I tend to leave them out. I'll move them around from time to time to change things up. This is on my fields.

On friends fields that we hunt, we pick them up.

salthunter likes this.
  5. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

We hunt a few long weekends each year and generally leave a spread out for the weekend if the spot is producing. We have kept a few hundred in the trailer to make a quick change on a good feed possible without having to pull the first spread to do so. Seems with guides it's either leave them for the season, or change every day.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I run and gun. 200 for me if I am by myself, add another 100-150 each for each additional hunter. 4 hunters, 6-700 decoys. 2 hunters, 300-400.

MO Drake and salthunter like this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I just sneak and crawl and shoot the roost it's really embarrassing when you try and jump a spread.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I did that with a canada Bigfoot spread in 1989. :doh Smelled the guys cigarette and slipped bag out

9. Huntges11

Huntges11 Senior Refuge Member

We left the full body spread out this season for a couple weeks or so. 3 reasons why: it wasn't exactly in plain sight from the road. It was a sketchy two track to drive in on. And the landowner was cruising around on his ATV daily, otherwise I don't know that I would have left it out. I had about 3 doz Fb's stolen from a spread we left out over the weekend many years ago and vowed never again.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The field that mine were stolen out of can’t be seen from the west road, hardly visible from the north road, and has minimum maintenance roads on the east and south roads. The landowner’s house is on the north end of the property and there are 2 houses across the road on the south side that we’ve talked to those owners before and they actually offered us to stay in their basement instead of driving home each day or paying for a hotel and said we could keep the trailer at their place so we didn’t have to haul it all the time. I felt pretty safe until the theft happened.