lets see some pics!

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by rmk800, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Gander311

Gander311 Elite Refuge Member

Jon,
    Nice pics, but that sure doesn't look like Canada in the middle of November to me. It's no wonder birds were so slow getting here this year if it is still so gorgeous north of us!!!

2. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Sorry, Richard, guess I got carried away. They were right there, and it's uncommon to decoy snows to my small spread. So I thought, "What the hell, I'll shoot a couple."

Jeremy, I think there are still good numbers of birds up north in this weirdest of years. In fact, I saw more antelope than geese through the Great Falls area. I had daytime highs of 50F up there this time, which is in stark contrast to the below zero temps we encountered in 2003.

Here's a few from the trip home. Snows just off the highway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monida was once again dicey, but once over the top it was smooth sailing:

[​IMG]

Miller time:

[​IMG]

3. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Great pics Jon. Love colors in the snows off the highway shot. PM me some details.

4. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Easy, Jerry. Heading south fairly early morning, so the sun was low in the east. The birds were west of me and so lit up, clouds in the background coming from the west promising snow later gave really nice contrast. Shooting early and late gives you the best lighting, color saturation, etc. The birds were 50-75 yards off the road.

That photo was shot with my little Canon S90, which has it's limitations. But my D300 was in the back, and I keep the Canon on the dash. I just grabbed it when I saw the quality of the light. Camera settings: Program, ISO 160, f/8.0, 1/1250, EV= -2, taken at 9:06 on 11/12/11. Just a bit of PP, but it didn't really need much. If I'd had more time, I'd have shot with my D300 with different settings.

I think you'd have a blast up there shooting with your 300mm after you finished with your gun. Your new spread should work really well for that.

5. Calloway

Calloway Refuge Member

6. UtahGooseHunta

UtahGooseHunta Elite Refuge Member

Trying to get used to waterfowling up here...I keep setting up decoys and blowing my call and I must sound like a dying spooner cuz I keep getting these big critters coming in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't hunted waterfowl much yet..I worked hard for a good bear, lots of days out in the woods. I passed a handful waiting for the one, and he was it...a stud of a black bear for Montana. 6' 6" nose to tail, 20 3/16" skull. The pics here are just he head and the hide...he was HUGE and totally worth the wait!

7. UtahGooseHunta

UtahGooseHunta Elite Refuge Member

I did go out one day and found a pile of geese using a grain field..I couldn't get permission so I had to resort to Paddler'esk Guerilla tactics!

The next morning I hoofed it into a close by WMA with an xlander on my back and a handful of real geese silos....a little calling and a little flaggin and I had 3 Montana honkers for the smoker!

All the marshes are froze solid now, time to find some big fattie red legged mallards on the river! Stay tuned.

[​IMG]

8. surf n' turf

surf n' turf Senior Refuge Member

Congrats!! that is a great looking bear!!:tu I want to get me one of those suckas!!

9. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Nice, Corey!! I'd like to see a pic of you standing next to that big guy. Looks like you're adapting very well to your new stomping grounds.

I hunted again today, and was hoping for a nice GWT shoot. I walked in again because I didn't want to paddle in the high winds. In fact, I haven't paddled once this year.

It was 51F when I left my house, with the strong south wind. It turned calm but the temp dropped to about 37F up near Ogden. The north wind really picked up at ~1:00, with snow following. I shot a nice mixed bag, but not a single greenwing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gander311

Gander311 Elite Refuge Member

I haven't been out in a week or so because I had to go to Houston for work. It was 80 and sunny down there, but was cool because I did get to see a bunch of tree ducks!

My last hunt was the morning before I left, I took a few buddies out, and one got his first swan. A nice mature bird at good ol' FBWMA.
    This was the first swan out of my new boat and with the new pup. She didn't know what to make of it however! (sorry for the pic quality, it is a phone pic)
    [​IMG]