Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Light Goose Conservation Order

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by swampstomper, Aug 19, 2019.

1. swampstomper

swampstomper Senior Refuge Member

Here in TX there,s a small but growing group that wants to see the CO ended. To be clear, I am not in this group. They blame it for our reduced numbers of wintering snows, poor body condition of geese returning to the nesting grounds and other things. Some have had enough stroke to get our state wildlife agency to put it on a questionaire they send out and ask for public comment. So far we still have our CO here. Many of these folks want it shut down nationwide. They claim the USFWS is being influenced more by economic factors than the good of the birds or the habitat they nest in. Some even claim that snow goose numbers are being exaggerated to keep the season in place. I say BS.

Some biologists say the CO is having little effect on the population and that natural mortality is higher than hunting mortality. Of course these estimates may be off because of the methods used to obtain them.

I,m sure many on this forum are strictly spring snow goose hunters and please don,t bash me for others opinions. My question is, what do you think would happen if the CO season was ended ? I believe we could see snow goose numbers start to increase again and wildllife agencies give up on hunting as a means of control. Other means of control that have been suggested don,t seem favorable to anyone.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  2. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

If the snows aren’t coming to Texas anymore, maybe Texas should opt out of the CO and let the other States push all the birds into Texas.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Yeah pushing birds south with hunting pressure in the spring.... good luck on that one!:doh

4. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

You’re oversimplifying, and you know it.

5. Dean Nelson

No I'm not I'm just bothering to pay ation to how it actually works. In spring if you push birds with pressure they don't bail south they bail North unless otherwise pinned against the snow line. By the time you get into Feb the birds have no interest in heading south and Texas is way to far south to hope for a snowline push back. By closing the season down there they would only loose not gain.

6. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

How about the fact that Texas is a destination State (not a fly through) and the northward migration almost never starts until a few weeks after the CO opens? You don’t think Snows would bounce a couple hundred miles South to finish wintering in peace? Resulting in new imprinting of wintering areas?

They could do a whole lot of greening while waiting for the snow-line to move.

Edit:
    I hunt the Pacific destination areas, our biggest build up was around March 17th, long after our season closed.

7. Dean Nelson

That's the thing tex is loosing a fair bit of there birds to states further north and the North shift starts in Jan. If you want a perfect example of this look no further than on this page go to the top and look at this Spring's snow goose reports and look at the very first page what you will see starts in the first week of February and the birds are already pushing up into Missouri and Nebraska. Hell the way it is these days the birds barely leave those States now. I spent the better part of a decade going north-south with these bird of this Flyway Believe Me by the time February rolls around the only thing that's going to push them south is whether not Hunters. For perspective just a couple of years ago the birds were arriving in North Dakota by the tail end of February.

8. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I’ll buy off on that.

You think the decade (plus) long drought Texas had could be the real problem?

Over here, they are basically eating their way south right up until they leave CA enmasse in early April.

9. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

Based on the population report that was released today, a pause in the CO sounds reasonable, but politically unlikely. The CO is a cash cow for many, and there would be a lobby to keep it for business reasons.

I haven't focused on CO hunts for a few years, mainly because of the decline in hunting quality over the past 5-6 years during the CO. The spring migration last year through NE was about seven days long.

Birds are returning to the nests with worse body conditions, which is not good, as most geese use stored energy to lay and hatch eggs. The Queen Maud Gulf white goose population is half of what it was just 5 years ago! That's a scary decline. Is the CO playing a role in that? It'll become more of a debate if this season is similar to last season.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I think they should close the spring season for two years and ban all callers in Canada for two years and let the birds get, at least to some point, unfamiliar with all the crap we use to try and hunt them.