Lighter recoil… Subgauge or Different 12?

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kind of funny that when when I was complaining about the muzzle jump I experienced with the a300 I got called a wuss and told little girls could shoot it, no problem but now people are adding limbsaver pads or have the kick off system. I wasn't even complaining about felt recoil.

You certainly were not. And I don't recall anyone calling you a wuss for not liking its recoil, nor for not liking the muzzle jump your Outlander produced. What I do recall is that those responding saying they have not experienced a similar muzzle-jump phenomenon. (Many also offered multiple ideas for correcting the problem.) At least one member offered to buy your gun, to see what you were describing, and try to discover its cause.

BB is right, he was not complaining about the amount of recoil, rather about what he described as muzzle jump.

Now, A300's are not particularly soft-shooting shotguns. Nor, on the other hand, do they have a reputation as being particularly heavy recoilers; they are fairly average in that regard. But, even the softest-recoiling shotgun available (and every manufacturer claims to make that gun :h) benefits from further recoil-reduction ....and Limbsavers do that quite effectively.
The A300 Outlander do not have a Kick-Off system available for it, by the way.

Bottom line: what we are discussing at this time is not what we were discussing then.
BB never fails to disappoint when it comes to interjecting his dislike for the A300 in as many threads as possible. I can hardly hold that against him, since I tend to do the same about TriStar Setter ST O/U........

Last edited:

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am also looking forward to installing a Limbsaver Air on my Citori 12 (Miroku)which I also hunt with and clay shoot with, as well as my Auto 5 Miroku that I also hunt with……..Why not?

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
^^^ Have several of those on various guns (shotgun and rifle) and they’re the real deal.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am also looking forward to installing a Limbsaver Air on my Citori 12 (Miroku)which I also hunt with and clay shoot with, as well as my Auto 5 Miroku that I also hunt with……..Why not?
Put one on both my citoris several years ago when I shortened lenght of pull a 1/4". Actually think i,ve only 2 shotguns that don,t have them. And the little 20 double I bought reasonly will probably get one as I need to shorten lenght of pull about a 1/4" . Haven't checked their patterns yet to see if they've got one that will fit or can be ground. If they do i,ll install.

SB2MAG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I own a Benelli Super Vinci that I really like. It’s reliable, dependable, and I’ve never had any cycling issues with it.

That being said, there are times when shooting it I feel like I’m actively getting a concussion. I shoot 3” #2s and #4s exclusively. Mostly Kent.

Could be the gun, most likely me, but either way I’d like to get a lighter-recoiling gun.

I’ve had my eye on the Browning A5 “Sweet Sixteen” but reviews are really mixed about cycling issues. That plus ammo is already hard enough to come by.

I also had plenty of success with a 20 ga youth model way back when (still steel shot) so I wouldn’t shy away from that if it came highly recommended by my fellow ‘Fuge-ers.

So that all said, would you recommend any shotgun in particular for lighter recoil? 12, 16 or 20?

and no unfortunately you can’t recommend for me to stop being a wuss—I’m pretty set in my ways. Haha

thanks everyone

I like my Super Vinci. Personally I don’t think the gun kicks at all. Or at least I don’t notice it.

I shoot mostly 3.5” Hypersonics

3245AA9F-F87B-4862-9816-7869899E34F6.jpeg

but if I’m hunting ducks only, I’ll get some 2 3/4” shells from the stash…..

B896A00D-644D-43BD-BE69-82CF12A9CDAC.jpeg

3051802D-09A2-4DDE-A6A6-E778F8D4600F.jpeg

429DE1BC-4518-4B11-861C-0785A590C30F.jpeg

….that recoil less than my 28ga with 1 oz loads.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stick with your 12 and shoot 1oz loads. Adding weight to gun has minimal impact on recoil. With the average steel shells 1.125 @ 1550fps .5lb of added weight only reduces recoil 2lbs. Fitting is barely noticed while hunting. Sitting, standing, crouching, layout blind, different layers of clothes and the birds direction of travel all affect fitment. Look into loading bismuth 1 oz. Billions of hulls are available. $1.00 per shot is steep compared to the steel of 2 years ago but not much more than now. The density of bismuth matches up with diameter of 12 ga.
Reducing the average recoil from around 40ft.lbs to around 20ft.lbs makes the type of action seem equally unimportant.

Alldrakes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Remington Versamax is the softest auto made or that was made. They will get back into production again soon. I have shot/owned them all Beretta Benelli Browning Fabarm Winchester NONE shoot as soft as the Versamax.

Old Critter

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice on this thread. Anyway, here’s mine. Find yourself a good used 1100. Put on a pad. Shoot basic 2 3/4 in shells. If you want even more comfort, find a 20 ga 1100 and shoot standard 2 3/4 in shells. Either way you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll shoot and enjoy doing it.

I had a safe full of inertia and two-hole guns. They’re all gone now. I shoot ducks and geese all over North America and all I shoot anymore are the 20 and 12 ga 1100s.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Remington Versamax is the softest auto made or that was made. They will get back into production again soon. I have shot/owned them all Beretta Benelli Browning Fabarm Winchester NONE shoot as soft as the Versamax.
I can also attest to this. It’s the main reason the Versa Max is my waterfowl gun. The only gun that even comes close recoil wise is the Beretta A400.

SB2MAG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stick with your 12 and shoot 1oz loads. Adding weight to gun has minimal impact on recoil. With the average steel shells 1.125 @ 1550fps .5lb of added weight only reduces recoil 2lbs. Fitting is barely noticed while hunting. Sitting, standing, crouching, layout blind, different layers of clothes and the birds direction of travel all affect fitment. Look into loading bismuth 1 oz. Billions of hulls are available. $1.00 per shot is steep compared to the steel of 2 years ago but not much more than now. The density of bismuth matches up with diameter of 12 ga.
Reducing the average recoil from around 40ft.lbs to around 20ft.lbs makes the type of action seem equally unimportant.

Trouble with the Super Vinci is it won’t always shoot 1oz loads.

1 1/8 works good but 1 oz typically needs to be at higher velocity.

My SV will shoot the Remington sportsman 1oz steel 6s at 1365 fps or federal 1 oz 7s but won’t shoot xpert nor some 1oz lead loads.

1 1/4oz load of bismuth is not a problem. 2 3/4”, 1 1/4oz or 1 3/8oz bismuth 2s 4s or 6s work well and have really low felt recoil.